Have you ever dreamed of making big time money just for doing what you already do? Have you ever had aspirations of living a life of glamour as a real life journalist? Are you looking to gain access to people inside the Iowa athletics department and have in depth conversations with coaches, players and staff?
If so, please continue your search and comment below when you’ve found the answers as we’d like them as well!
Until then, Black Heart Gold Pants is hiring a contributor for the site. While we can’t offer you the big time money, cushy lifestyle of a capital “J” journalist (you know they all write whatever they want whenever they want with no deadlines or pressure) or access to anyone anywhere, we can offer you an opportunity to have your voice heard by literally dozens of people and possibly pay for your monthly internet bill (actually, that’s probably not accurate).
What exactly does a contributor at The Pants do? We’re looking for someone to help with regularly scheduled programming, including game previews, post-game analysis, team previews, season previews, off-court news and analysis, breaking news, recruiting news and other features as necessary. Contributors should be able to commit to one story per week and be prepared to pitch one story idea per week to the site manager for approval.
Our best contributor candidates will:
- Have a passion for Iowa athletics and already be familiar with SB Nation’s voice and standards.
- Be able to channel that passion into competent arrangements of words consistent with AP Style and the SB Nation Style Guide that effectively communicate their ideas.
- Have a familiarity with existing coverage in the Iowa athletics space.
- Take genuine pride in their writing, discussions and how they gather facts and data to back them up.
- Be willing to diligently source attribution for ideas, quotes, etc.
- Be comfortable working in a remote environment.
- You are an active member of one of our communities who submits FanPosts or FanShots or are very interested in figuring out how the site operates and communicates.
- You are active on Twitter and/or Facebook, spending time looking for fresh news and analysis of your team.
- You enjoy discussing your team on our website(s) and want to enrich the discussion in our comments.
- You have prior experience contributing for a website or newspaper.
- You have experience with digital media, including podcasting and YouTube content creation.
- You are a self-starter, someone who can take initiative with respective tasks.
This is a part-time, remote contractor role compensated with a monthly stipend.
How to apply:
Deadline: Friday, July 10, by 11:59 p.m. CT
Please submit a resume detailing any previous writing experience, a cover letter explaining why you’re the best candidate for the role and any aspect of Iowa sports you’re especially interested in or qualified to cover, and an Iowa athletics-related writing sample (feel free to choose a topic you feel passionately about or demonstrates any special knowledge or skills that set you apart) via email to email@example.com. You will not be considered for this role if you do not submit all three items.
If you have questions about this role, the application process, Black Heart Gold Pants, or SB Nation in general, please contact JPinIC, managing editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Black Heart Gold Pants, SB Nation, and Vox Media are committed to bringing you quality coverage of women’s basketball from a diverse array of voices and perspectives. If your experience and qualifications do not perfectly align with everything we’re looking for, but you feel like you have the potential to thrive in this role, we encourage you to apply.