By it’s very name, a mock draft typically invokes a lot of mocking from people about the absurdity of some picks. Even so, I’ll do my best to predict tonight’s first round even to go so far as projecting some trades.
When all is said and done, it probably won’t look as bad as some historic blunders from people way more connected to the game than I am.
Johnny Manziel (2014) (Tweet 3/3)— Freezing Cold Takes (@OldTakesExposed) April 23, 2020
Compilation of Jon Gruden pushing hard for Johnny during the 2014 Draft. pic.twitter.com/46dIArgnY4
Let the mocking begin!
2020 BHGP NFL Mock Draft
- Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow - QB, LSU Tigers: The Bengals need a franchise QB and Burrow showed the world his accuracy and ability last year as LSU won the national title. A little worried that the Bengal oline may not be as good as the one from LSU, but a safe pick.
2. Washington Redskins: Chase Young - DE, Ohio State Buckeyes: Young may be the safest pick of the draft and will lead Ron Rivera’s defense from the get go.
3. Miami Dolphins (trade with Detroit): Tristan Wirfs - OL, Iowa Hawkeyes: The Dolphins see that the Giants also need an OL and make the move to get the guy that they want. Detroit was happy to slide a couple spots as they still expect to get the guy they wanted plus pick up a little draft capital. Wirfs showing at the combine is what sways Miami to pick him over Andrew Thomas or Jedrick Wills.
4. New York Giants: Jedrick Wills Jr. - OL, Alabama Crimson Tide: The Giants will look into trading down to pick up some more draft picks but not sure the value will be there from anyone else to not pick up a lineman to help protect Daniel Jones and Saquon Barkley.
5. Detroit Lions: Jeff Okudah - CB, Ohio State Buckeyes: The Lions get the guy they wanted at three and Okudah becomes an instant starter for Detroit.
6. Los Angeles Chargers: Isaiah Simmons - LB/S, Clemson Tigers: There is no question that Simmons is one of, if not, the most athletic player in the draft. The question is what position will he play in the NFL? Most scouts think he can play either LB or S so that opens up a lot of possibilities. There has been talk of a QB to the Chargers but Simmons offers a lot of potential.
7. Carolina Panthers: Derrick Brown - DT, Auburn Tigers: Brown is one of the few big time players that plays four years in college. The Panthers get a great value pick here and a player that will perform for them for years to come.
8. Cleveland Browns (trade with Arizona): Andrew Thomas - OL, Georgia Bulldogs: The Browns are getting nervous for an offensive lineman so they pull the trigger to move up two spots to grab Thomas, a bulldozing force that makes the Browns instantly better.
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: CJ Henderson - CB, Florida Gators
10. Arizona Cardinals (trade with Cleveland): Javon Kinlaw - DT, South Carolina Gamecocks
11. New York Jets: Mekhi Becton - OL, Louisville Cardinals
12. Las Vegas Raiders: Tua Tagovailoa - QB, Alabama Crimson Tide
13. San Francisco 49ers: Jerry Jeudy - WR, Alabama Crimson Tide
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: CeeDee Lamb - WR, Oklahoma Sooners
15. Denver Broncos: Henry Ruggs III - WR, Alabama Crimson Tide
16. Atlanta Falcons: Grant Delpit - S, LSU Tigers
17. Dallas Cowboys: K’Lavon Chaisson - DE, LSU Tigers
18. Miami Dolphins: Justin Herbert - QB, Oregon Ducks
19. Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Jones - OT, Houston Cougars
20. Jacksonville Jaguars: A.J. Terrell - CB, Clemson Tigers
21. Philadelphia Eagles: Austin Jackson - OT, USC Trojans: Yes, the player that A.J. Epenesa abused gets drafted first.
22. Minnesota Vikings: Justin Jefferson - WR, LSU Tigers
23. New England Patriots: Xavier McKinney - S, Alabama Crimson Tide
24. New Orleans Saints: Jordan Love - QB, Utah State Aggies
25. Minnesota Vikings: Kristian Fulton - CB, LSU Tigers
26. Miami Dolphins: Patrick Queen - LB, LSU Tigers
27. Seattle Seahawks: Jalen Reagor - WR, TCU Horned Frogs
28. Baltimore Ravens: Ezra Cleveland - OL, Boise State Broncos
29. Tennessee Titans: Kenneth Murray - LB, Oklahoma Sooners
30. Green Bay Packers: A.J Epenesa - DE, Iowa Hawkeyes
31. Dallas Cowboys (trade with 49ers): Cesar Ruiz - C, Michigan Wolverines
32. Kansas City Chiefs: Trevon Diggs - CB, Alabama Crimson Tide
Just missing the cut: Yetur Gross-Matos - DE, Penn State; JK Dobbins - RB, Ohio State; Jonathan Taylor - RB, Wisconsin; Isaiah Wilson - OT, Georgia; Jaylon Johnson - CB, Utah.
So there you have it, my attempt at what will go down at the draft tonight. Projecting trades past the first ten picks would just be a guessing game so I only made one, Dallas trading up for a center to replace the retired Travis Frederick. Other teams like New England and Seattle historically trade down often so activity is likely. Simply consider the spot where the player is drafted when grading for accuracy (or lack thereof).
Looking at the list, it’s tough to see how Alabama didn’t win the National Title as they have six first round choices. Also, the wide receiver position is incredibly deep this year so players like Jefferson and Reagor may fall out of the first round as teams go for more position scarcity.
Enjoy your first look at “sports” and hopefully this begins the cycle of where things can begin the path to normalcy.
Stay safe, and as always, Go Hawks!