Even after a slightly aggravating loss to Michigan State last night, it seems pretty safe to say that Iowa will be playing in the NCAA Tournament in March. The remaining results and Big Ten Tourney finish will impact what seed the Hawkeyes end up, and with it, their chances of advancing to the second week.
But where might the boys be playing? Here is a list of all the locations for the first round games. I have then listed a famous person from that city and then the first thing that I think of when I hear that cities name.
- Dayton, OH: Ron Harper is from Dayton and if Iowa ends up here it means they had a terrible finish to the season and ended up in one of the “last four” games. First thing I think of when I hear Dayton is tires for some reason.
- Albany, NY: Ann B. Davis, aka Alice from The Brady Bunch, is from Albany and that makes it a nice place in my mind. I think of the Hudson River when I hear Albany.
- Spokane, WA: Craig T. Nelson, aka Coach, is from Spokane. Never been there but I picture snow-capped mountains in the distance when I think of Spokane.
- St. Louis, MO: Tyler Cook is from the STL. The first thing I think of when I hear St. Louis is toasted ravioli though I’m not a big fan.
- Tampa, FL: Dwight Gooden is from Tampa. Gooden was going to be my retirement plan and had the cocaine and crashing price of baseball cards not interfered, I’d be on an island right now. When I hear Tampa I think strawberries, specifically the Plant City Strawberry Festival (which starts tomorrow).
- Greensboro, NC: Bob McAdoo is from Greensboro. Banking will always be the first thing that I think of with good ol’ Greensboro.
- Omaha, NE: Warren Buffet, aka The Oracle of Omaha, is from Omaha. If I hadn’t blown all my money on Dwight Gooden rookie cards, I could have invested in some Berkshire-Hathaway years ago and been on that island. Anyway Omaha means Omaha Steaks, the premier choice in mail order meat.
- Sacramento, CA: Sam Elliott is from Sacramento and I don’t care what anyone says, he won the dance off against Lil Nas X in the Doritios commercial. Honestly nothing pops in my head when you say Sacramento so I guess I’ll go with the Kings.
- Cleveland, OH: Joe Walsh is from Cleveland. Joe Walsh is great, ergo Cleveland must be ok. Cleveland makes me think of “Cleveland Rocks” which makes me think of The Drew Carey Show which makes me think of The Price is Right which makes me think of Bob Barker which makes me think of him punching out Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore.
There you have it, a look at the potential destinations where Iowa could end up in a couple of weeks. Of these locations, I would be able to go if Iowa gets placed in St. Louis as many “experts” have recently picked. Otherwise, I’d prefer a top six seed over a specific location and a worse seed. Any of you live in any of these other sites? Will you be travelling to see any games?