Another Iowa football season has come and gone, and as he has done since the debacle that was the Gator Bowl, in which Iowa got walloped by Tennessee and threw both Jake Rudock and CJ Beathard to the wolves, Kirk Ferentz held a press conference to evaluate the season as a whole (no quarterback change to announce this time, though).
No transcript this week, so instead I’m going to post the video of Kirk’s opening remarks, some of my takeaways from the video, and random tweets from reporters present at the presser.
My main takeaways:
- Kirk says the team played its best football at the end of the season (I agree!)
- The team came up strong in “critical” areas
- Two “pretty good” seasons...any loss came right down to the end against “really good” opponents. Yes, this is true, but still the biggest frustration about the squad. Had the team that played in the Holiday Bowl played in some of those games earlier in the year, we could be talking about a division championship (there’s no way that team would have beat Ohio State in the Big Ten Championship lol)
- Iowa State game was a “pivotal” moment for the team...after that game, Kirk thought the squad had what it took to have a really good team
- Team had to reset its goals after the Wisconsin loss ended division title hopes
- Today is the first day of practice, message to the team is to put last year’s team/season behind them, a long road ahead of them
- On the players leaving for the NFL, it’s a “sign of the times”..would have loved to have all of them stay.
- Mansell wants a “better opportunity to be a starter” So...Spencer Petras has been the guy for awhile now, apparently?
Now onto other tweets I was able to dig up:
Sounds like Iowa is getting closer to positionless D-line. And sounds like the number for DL rotators for 2020 starts at six. Key number for me.— Marc Morehouse (@marcmorehouse) January 20, 2020
Not quite sure of the context of this, but I’m definitely interested. Phil Parker’s defense was a true gem this year, and it seems like he’s been given the go-ahead from Kirk to run things as he pleases. This is going to be very interesting to think about over the offseason.
KF: Petras is the guy at QB, says he looked like a college QB in bowl prep (Ferentz’s way of saying he looked really good)— Scott Dochterman (@ScottDochterman) January 20, 2020
Well, there you have it. Although admittedly, I’d say anyone who received a scholarship to play Division 1 football should be able to look like “a college QB” in bowl prep. But in all seriousness, if Kirk thinks Petras looks ready, that’s a good sign. But we’ll have to wait until the spring scrimmage to really see what’s what (not that the spring scrimmage is any real indication of the season, if the last few years are to be believed).
"Our country has a punting crisis." -- Kirk Ferentz— Marc Morehouse (@marcmorehouse) January 20, 2020
Also not sure of the context here (the tweets from this presser were pretty sparse) but I couldn’t agree with Kirk more. WE need more punts, always.
Did you see any notable tweets from the presser? Screengrab them and leave them in the comments below. I really wish there would have been more video out there but at least these are some interesting tidbits.
Go Hawks. We’re onto 2020.