Why hello there!
Iowa football gave us a nice little Thursday morning news dump!
It’s been quite a few months since we’ve seen a depth chart, so let’s get you up to speed here:
- On the offense, we finally have proof that the Tyler Linderbaum hype is real, as he’s taken over at center, moving Cole Banwart to right guard, relegating Levi Paulsen back to the bench. Landan Paulsen seems to have secured left guard.
- Instead of two tight ends listed like last year, we have three wide receivers! Brandon Smith, Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Nico Ragaini will be Iowa’s main pass-catchers this year, but Tyrone Tracy is listed as WR2 at two different spots, so expect to see plenty of him.
- Nate Wieting is the guy at tight end, as expected. I suspect a handful of guys will get looks there, however.
- Peyton Mansell is the backup quarterback until he’s not.
- In Caleb Shudak we trust at kicker.
And on the defense!
- There’s nothing I love more than seeing Daviyon Nixon’s name on the two-deeps.
- And Amani Jones has made the switch to defensive end. This defensive line will be N A S T Y.
- Looks like Barrington Wade and DJ Johnson are taking over Amani Hooker’s role at the fake-sounding Cash position. And it looks like they’re using 5¢ to denote that. Ok!
We speculate Wade will be the starter when Iowa’s in a base 4-3, but Johnson will get the nod when the Hawkeyes switch over to a 4-2-5.
- We have a Doyle on the two-deeps.
- I am really, really excited for Kaevon Merriweather.
- Matt Hankins and Michael Ojemudia are still the corners, for better or worse. I think Geno Stone back there will help them out quite a bit.
- And we’ve still got Colten Rastetter manning punts. I don’t think we’ll see any new additions to the team on the two deeps until pre-Miami.
And that’s it! What do you guys pick out in there?