Iowa (8-2) concludes it’s non-conference portion of the schedule tonight as they host Drake (7-3) at 6:00 p.m. The game will be on BTN+. Drake has wins over Iowa State and Auburn this season so should be a formidable foe for Iowa to vanquish. It is ugly sweater night so wear your best and see if you can win a prize.
In other basketball news, the team announced that January 26, in a home game against Michigan State, Megan Gustafson will return and have her number retired. Hopefully the place will be packed to show appreciation for what Gustafson accomplished while at Iowa.
Saturday, December 21: Iowa vs. Drake @ Carver-Hawkeye, 6:00 p.m. (CST)
Scouting report from hawkeyesports.com:
- Drake is 7-3 on the season.
- The Bulldogs played their last contest on Dec. 17 -- a 84-93 loss to Oklahoma.
- Senior forward Sara Rhine leads the Bulldogs, averaging 19.1 points per game, and senior guard Becca Hittner follows with 16.3.
- Rhine and Hittner are also leading Drake in rebounds, pulling in 6.5 and 5.6 rebounds per game, respectively. Senior forward Monica Burich adds 5.1 rebounds per game.
- Senior Brenni Rose is leading the Bulldogs with 5.7 assists per game. Drake is ranked second in the NCAA in assists with 225 on the season.
- As a team, the Bulldogs average 82.2 points per game, ranking 14th in the country, while holding opponents to 70.0.
- Jennie Baranczyk was named the sixth head women’s basketball coach at Drake University in April, 2012. The Bulldogs have won three-straight MVC titles and advanced to NCAA Tournaments in each of those seasons. Baranczyk played under Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder from 2000-04.
Last Week’s Results
Iowa 75, Iowa State 69
Iowa 102, North Carolina Central 50
Iowa defeated Iowa State on the road in a big Cy-Hawk Series game. Iowa State was led by Iowa City native Ashley Joens who scored 26 to lead all players but the Iowa depth from senior Kathleen Doyle and sophomore Monika Czinano paced Iowa to the win. Doyle scored 21 while Czinano added 20. Senior Amanda Ollinger pulled down an incredible 20 rebounds.
Against North Carolina Central, Iowa was clearly playing an overmatched squad. All 13 Hawkeyes played and each either scored points or pulled down some rebounds. Senior Makenzie Meyer led the way with 19 points and she made a three pointer off an assist from her sister, freshman Megan Meyer.
Points Per Game: Kathleen Doyle (15.2), Makenzie Meyer (15.1), Monika Czinano (14.9)
Three Pointers Made: Makenzie Meyer (27)
Field Goal % (min 75% games played): Monika Czinano (71.4%)
Free Throw % (min 75% games played): Alexis Sevillian (90.9%)
Rebounds Per Game: Amanda Ollinger (8.7)
Assists: Kathleen Doyle (61)
Steals: Kathleen Doyle (15), Amanda Ollinger (14)
Blocks: Amanda Ollinger (17)