The Hawkeyes picked up their 8th win of the season yesterday as they toppled Illinois 19-10. It wasn’t always pretty, but it was enough to move head coach Kirk Ferentz into a tie with former head Hawkeye Hayden Fry for 3rd all-time in conference wins in the Big Ten, just ahead of former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.
The win wasn’t terribly impressive, though Illinois did come into the game riding a 4-game winning streak that included an upset over Wisconsin. As a result, Iowa remained unchanged in the USA Today Coaches Poll at #20. In the AP poll, it was a similar story as the Hawkeyes remain at #19.
That’s to be expected without many losses in front of Iowa in the polls. This week did see some top-25 teams lose, but those came from teams on the back end of the rankings, such as SMU, or much higher up in the rankings. In the top-10, we had Penn State and Oregon lose. However, neither fell far enough to impact Iowa’s ranking.
Here’s a look at the full AP top-25.
- Ohio State
- Penn State
- Notre Dame
- Boise State
- Oklahoma State
- Appalachian State
- Virginia Tech
- Iowa is still the second highest ranked team with 3 losses behind #15 Auburn.
- The Big Ten leads all conferences with 6 ranked teams. The SEC is second with 5.
- The SEC leads with 4 teams ranked inside the top-10. The Big Ten has 3.
- Iowa’s losses have all come against teams currently ranked in the top-13.
- Iowa only has one win over a ranked opponent, #10 Minnesota. Iowa State is the top team in others receiving votes.
The Hawkeyes will close out the regular season with a Black Friday matchup in Lincoln against i ranked Nebraska. Iowa has won the last 4 against the Huskies and 5 of the last 6. The game is a 1:30pm CT kick on BTN.