Despite being favored at home last week against Minnesota, Iowa’s win over the then 8th ranked team in the nation came as a surprise to some. It also came with some national attention.
Today, that comes to a head as the College Football Playoff committee released their weekly rankings. This week, the committee vaulted Iowa up to number 17 on the back of that 23-19 win over the Golden Gophers.
November 1️⃣9️⃣ #CFBPlayoff Selection Committee Rankings:— College Football Playoff (@CFBPlayoff) November 20, 2019
1️⃣6️⃣. Notre Dame // @NDFootball
1️⃣7️⃣. Iowa // @HawkeyeFootball
1️⃣8️⃣. Memphis // @MemphisFB
1️⃣9️⃣. Cincinnati // @GoBearcatsFB
2️⃣0️⃣. Boise State // @BroncoSportsFB
As you can see, the ranking places Iowa just behind Notre Dame and just ahead of Memphis. Here’s a look at the full rankings:
- Ohio State
- Penn State
- Notre Dame
- Boise State
- Oklahoma State
- Iowa State
- Southern California
- Appalachian State
- Iowa’s win over Minnesota dropped the Golden Gophers two spots while raising the Hawkeyes 3.
- Iowa is the second-highest rated 3-loss team behind only Auburn.
- The Hawkeyes’ 3 losses have come to the #8, #12 and #13 teams in the country.
- Iowa has wins over #10 Minnesota and a road win over #22 Iowa State.
- The Big Ten leads all conferences with 6 teams ranked in the top-25 with the lowest being #17 Iowa.
- The Big Ten has 3 teams in the top-10, the same as the SEC. Both conferences have 5 teams in the top-15.
The Hawkeyes will look to continue climbing the rankings this week as they close out their home schedule against i ranked Illinois at 11am CT. The game will be televised on BTN. The Hawkeyes are currently favored by 16.