Iowa has had a week off since their 85-53 opening night victory over Florida Atlantic last Thursday night. Since that time they scored a big recruiting victory as Dowling Catholic senior guard Caitlin Clark announced that she would be coming to Iowa next fall.
The schedule picks up a little bit with a game against North Alabama (2-0) tonight and then an away game against Northern Iowa (3-0) on Sunday.
Thursday, November 14: Iowa vs. North Alabama @ Carver-Hawkeye Arena, 6:30 p.m.
Scouting report from hawkeyesports.com:
- North Alabama finished the 2018-19 season with a 21-9 overall record, and finished fourth in conference play with a 10-6 record.
- North Alabama is 2-0 on the season with wins over Virginia University of Lynchburg (128-26) and Mississippi Valley State (86-60).
- The Lions return nine letterwinners and all five starters from the 2018-19 season. The starters include statistical leaders Brittany Panetti, Ivy Wallen, Emma Wallen, Kenysha Coulson, and Ansley Eubank.
- Panetti leads the Lions in total points (36), I. Wallen has 22 assists, and Panetti, Eubank, and sophomore Jaylin Austin have pulled in 13 rebounds on the season.
- In their first two games, six Lions scored in double digits, including Panetti, freshman Jaida Bond, I. Wallen, E. Wallen, junior Olivia Noah, and sophomore Sarah Suttle.
- Head coach Missy Tiber is in her seventh season at the helm. She earned her 100th win at North Alabama in the Lions season opener against Virginia-Lynchburg. Tiber led her team to a 21-9 record in its first season as a Division I program in 2018-19.
Sunday, November 17: Iowa vs. Northern Illinois @ Cedar Falls, IA, 2:00 p.m.
- UNI is 3-0 on the season which includes road wins over Wichita State and Missouri.
- The Panther’s record last year was 20-13 and they went to the WNIT. They are returning 10 letter winners (two starters). They currently have eight Iowa players on their roster.
- Junir guard Karli Rucker is the Panther’s leading scored so far this season at 22.0 ppg.
- UNI is 2-22 overall against Iowa with the last win coming in 2006.
- Head coach Tanya Warren is in her 13th season with the team and has a record of 225-166.
Last Week’s Results
Iowa 85, Florida Atlantic 58
Five Hawkeyes scored in double figures, led by senior Kathleen Doyle’s 15, to defeat Florida Atlantic in the season opener. Coach Lisa Bluder is now 20-0 in season openers.
Doyle joined the 1,000 point club in the first half of the game. She ranks 36th on the all-time school list.
Sophomore Monika Czinana scored 14, junior Alexis Sevillian added 12, and freshmen Gabbie Marshall and McKenna Warnock added 11 and 10 respectively.
The team’s other two freshmen, Kate Martin (RS) and Megan Meyer, also scored in their first college games. Martin with four and Meyer with three.
Points Per Game: Kathleen Doyle (15.0)
Three Pointers Made: Gabbie Marshall (3)
Field Goal %: Megan Meyer (100%)
Free Throw %: Alexis Sevillian and Kate Martin (100%)
Rebounds: McKenna Warnock (10)
Assists: Kathleen Doyle and Makenzie Meyer (5)
Steals: Makenzie Meyer (2)
Blocks: Kate Martin (1)