Iowa’s defense suffocated a potent Maryland offense and the Hawkeye offense did all it needed to do to slow bleed an outmatched Terrapin squad 23-0.
Iowa started off the game pretty hot putting together a seven-play drive into Maryland territory until Nate Stanley threw an ill-advised interception to stall the scoring.
The Terrapins ran just four offensive plays on the their first drive until they had to punt and Iowa would get another crack at points. A 17-play, 72-yard drive that ate up 9 minutes of clock that included a 4th down conversion resulted in a field goal for the Hawkeyes. 3-0 good guys.
Maryland went three and out on its second offensive drive of the game and another steady drive for Iowa that started on Maryland’s 47 resulted in another chip shot for Miguel Recinos. 6-0 Iowa.
Kasim Hill and the Maryland offense were starting to get things cooking on their attempt but that drive was cut short after Amani Hooker made a great jump on the ball to give the ball back to Iowa’s offense.
Amani Hooker takes the ball back for @HawkeyeFootball. pic.twitter.com/vRzSDiXniE— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) October 20, 2018
Iowa would capitalize on the gift from Hooker.
A nice run up the middle by Ivory Kelly-Martin set up a 15-yard catch for TJ Hockenson. After two null plays a designed QB draw for Stanley moved the chains on 3rd and 10 and the Hawkeyes were knocking on the door at Maryland’s 11 yard line. After a Noah Fant drop and an IKM run for no gain Nate Stanley hit Brandon Smith in the corner of the endzone. Smith was blanketed and a pass interference flag was thrown but it didn’t matter as Smith made the grab and got the and-1.
Pass interference. Brandon Smith doesn't mind. It's a 10-yard TD.— On Iowa (@GazetteOnIowa) October 20, 2018
Iowa 13, Maryland 0 | 0:08 2nd | https://t.co/9Ghf87wSJr pic.twitter.com/iuPkfEOJJZ
13-0 at Half.
The second half spelled more good things for both of Iowa’s units. AJ Epenesa forced an incompletion on third down of Maryland’s first drive of the half. He’s really good.
A.J. Epenesa goes to work pic.twitter.com/zcOIBFZeR4— On Iowa (@GazetteOnIowa) October 20, 2018
Iowa’s offense was gifted another short field after a bad Maryland punt but could only muster 3 points after an incomplete pass to Kyle Groeneweg in the end zone and a busted screen to IKM. Three field goals on the day for Recinos made it 16-0 Iowa.
Iowa and Maryland traded drives but Iowa pinned Maryland on its own 10 yard line after a nice punt for Colten Rastetter. Maryland subbed out quarterback Kasim Hill and put in Tyrell Pigrome for this drive and it would cost them. A Maryland receiver hit Pigrome during a fake sweep, knocking the ball into the endzone. Anthony Nelson was there to give his team 6 points.
Touchdown Iowa: The defense gets on the board thanks to Anthony Nelson falling on a Tyrell Pigrome fumble— On Iowa (@GazetteOnIowa) October 20, 2018
Iowa 23, Maryland 0 | 3:31 3rd | https://t.co/9Ghf87wSJr pic.twitter.com/nhOCzEPjEg
And that would be it for the scoring portion of the day. Iowa eventually put in Peyton Mansell on offense (which is hilarious when you consider he didn’t play against Indiana last week) and he had two really nice runs and one really not nice pass. Third stringer Spencer Petras even got some run, missing on a pass intended for Groeneweg.
And that’s that. Iowa is 6-1 and things are looking pretty, pretty pretty good for Iowa’s matchup in Happy Valley next weekend.
- Maryland had just 115 yards of offense. Looks like our concerns about Iowa’s defense going into this game were unfounded.
- Iowa was 9-18 on third down and 3-4 on 4th down. Meanwhile Maryland was just 4-10 on third down conversions.
- Riley Moss had a really great pass break up in the first quarter. He may be getting better, but Maryland’s passing attack never really challenged Iowa’s defensive secondary.
- Nate Stanley was just 11/22 for 88 yards and a touchdown — surely a letdown after his electric performance against Indiana last week, but he never really had to do much as Iowa gained 224 yards on the ground. The wind may have played a decent factor in errant throws by both qbs today.
- Ivory Kelly Martin seems to be healthy, he had 24 carries for 98 yards.
- Iowa wasn’t penalized all game! And there were only six called the entire contest for a total of 46 yards.