Let’s look at it!
Not much going on there in the way of drama. Here’s some quick things that jump out:
- Nathan Stanley would be your starting quarterback if the season started tomorrow. He has the edge over Wiegers, and I’m of the belief it would take a lot for him to get upended before the season starts.
- No James Butler on the list. This is mostly because Butler hasn’t practiced with the team yet. That’s also the reason why you don’t see any true freshmen on here.
- This is the first time I remember Iowa having two tight end and two receiver spots on the depth chart. Normally just one two-deep spot would be reserved for TEs. I’m not sure if this is a shift in offensive philosophy with new O-coordinator Brian Ferentz, or a switch out of necessity due the fact Matt VandeBerg is the only receiver on the roster with a catch. I’m leaning towards the latter.
- No mention of moving a Nelson to the interior of the D-line. something to keep an eye on.
- Devonte Young is our return man, as of now. As someone who doesn’t think it’s worth risking injury to Akrum Wadley or VandeBerg, I’m all for that.
- Aaron Mends is back at the bottom of the pecking order at WLB, for some reason.
- I count five seniors starting on defense and offense apiece. People can say 2018 will be a rebuilding year, but the cupboard certainly won’t be bare after this year.
- Amani Hooker has switched from strong safety to free safety.
What interests you, loyal Hawk fans?