ANOTHER WEEK, ANOTHER PRESS CONFERENCE WITH IOWA FOOTBALL ASSISTANTS. This week, running back/ special teams coach Chris White and wide receivers coach Bobby Kennedy has their turn at the mic. Iowa's made some changes with Jonathan Parker moving to wide receiver and Derrick Mitchell moving to running back. The receiver position is thin and three new additions will have a chance at playing time next year. Here's the transcript (and videos), I'll summarize with bullets:
- Leshun Daniels has cut some weight and is at 225
- Daniels will likely get Mark Weisman's carries from last year
- Akrum Wadley has added 10 pounds and working on more
- Derrick Mitchell wowed coaches when he portrayed Melvin Gordon on the scout team last year
- Need to get punter figured out
- Marshall Koehn also working at punter
- They're looking to expand Desmond King's role in the return game
- Running backs and tight ends are spending more time together with Brian Ferentz (run game coordinator)
- BK: It's time for Andrew Stone and Andre Harris to step up because freshmen are coming in
- Matt Vandeberg is stepping into Kevonte Martin-Manley's role
- Jay Scheel is getting better but perhaps is not 100% yet
- BK and Derrick Willies still have a good relationship
- Tevaun Smith needs to continue to work hard and never be satisfied
- Maybe all three freshmen wide receivers will be in the mix, BK mentioned Adrian Falconer
REMEMBER. If you live in Central Iowa, you can see the Hawks up close this Saturday at Valley High School. There's no need for tickets this year and gates open at 11:30 am. Also, Iowa's spring game is April 25th in Iowa City. If you can't make it to Kinnick, you can follow along on BTN2Go.
ELSEWHERE. AIRBHG strikes again?
A couple things real quickly from practice. Former #Hawkeyes RB Barkley Hill is practicing as a linebacker for spring because RB is so deep.— Jeremiah Davis (@jeremiahdavis10) April 6, 2015
IOWA-IOWA STATE HOOPS SET THE DATE.
Another Friday Cy-Hawk Showdown. https://t.co/32t5xupKLw— Chad Leistikow (@ChadLeistikow) April 8, 2015
IOWA HOOPS WILL BE A DIFFERENT TEAM NEXT YEAR. That, according to Fran McCaffery. He admits he loses a lot of minutes and one superstar from this year's squad. He also knows he has four starters returning and big roster turnover with five or maybe six (cough, Dale Jones) new faces coming in. Fran has upgraded the athleticism on the wing but we'll have to hope they can shoot.
- Spring Football Practice No. 7 Pics
- Ramos to Make World Cup Debut
- Iowa hopes Parker can pivot to playmaker
- No. 15 Hawkeyes Fall to Milwaukee, 4-3
- White, Kennedy Talk Competition
- Iowa records surplus from TaxSlayer Bowl
- Olaseni among prospects playing at Portsmouth
- Fran McCaffery given Coaches vs. Cancer award
- Top assistants under 40 in the Big Ten
- Spring Practice No. 6 Pics
- Why Iowa's LeShun Daniels is poised for a breakout season
- Parker, Mitchell looking to make more plays in new Hawkeye roles