ANOTHER WEEK, MORE FOOTBALL TALK. This week, Iowa's assistant coaches Brian Ferentz, Reese Morgan and Seth Wallace talk spring football. We also heard from Kirk Ferentz on the weekly Big Ten Teleconference. They touched on numerous subjects from recruiting to Aaron Hernandez. Marc Morehouse has the video of all three assistants in this post. There's also transcripts. Here's the audio of Kirk Ferentz and Drew Ott (more on Ott later). I'll summarize with a lot of bullets:
- Most important thing for Myers and Boettger is getting reps
- James Daniels has the best shot of playing time of the freshmen because he's the only one practicing full speed
- "run game coordinator" is more of a formality than anything
- On Aaron Hernandez, feels DJ and his family and worse for the family of the victims
- Matt Nelson can play both sides and has a chance to help this season
- Brady Reiff is smaller than Riley but faster. Both hardworking guys from a good family
- Iowa is more aggressive with recruiting, hence the many early offers
- Offers sometimes show commitment and gets kids on campus for visits
- Wallace disagrees that it's tough to recruit skill players to Iowa
- Mid to low 20's for Iowa's 2016 recruiting class
ABOUT DREW OTT He was asked about former Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock transferring to Michigan. He responded bluntly. Ott said, "I thought he'd have a little more fight in him." Asked about Rudock's leadership qualitiess, Ott replied, "I don't know. You'd have to ask someone else."
KIRK FERENTZ WAS ON THE TELECONFERENCE TOO. He was also asked about DJ Hernandez and offered his support.
SPEED IS COMING.
ABOUT THOSE NIGHT GAMES.
NFL announces Iowa T Brandon Scherff @bscherff68 will be 1 of 26 players attending the NFL draft in person. Draft begins April 30 in Chicago— Scott Dochterman (@ScottDochterman) April 14, 2015
IOWA HOOPS HAD THEIR ANNUAL AWARDS BANQUET. The Chris Street Award goes to...Aaron White. Not a surprise by any means. There's a list of other awards on Scott Dochterman's blog.
REMEMBER, REMEMBER, THE SEASON STARTED IN NOVEMBER.
ADD HOOPS ADDS ONE. Spring Signing Day was yesterday and as expected, Christian Williams signed his Letter of Intent to Iowa. Iowa has one more scholarship to give and rumors have former Iowan and JUCO SF Dale Jones visiting soon. More on that later.
THERE'S TWO NEW WALK-ONS FOR HOOPS TOO.
GOOD EATS FOR A GOOD CAUSE.
The "Franwich" sold at 23 Iowa Applebee's locations helped raise $34,044 for the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center. pic.twitter.com/jYNAxl2n9P— Iowa Basketball (@IowaHoops) April 15, 2015
- Iowa reacts to guilty verdict for Hernandez
- Iowa's Ott on Rudock: ‘I thought he had a little more fight in him'
- Hawkeyes could finish basketball recruiting class in next few days
- Iowa is O Line U for one top recruit
- Metcalf Named USA Wrestling Athlete of the Week
- Upon further review, Ferentz can work with Iowa's new tackles
- An Instant Upgrade to Any Offensive Line: Iowa's Brandon Scherff Could Deadlift Your House
- Marshall Koehn works to get a leg up in Hawkeye punting race
- Williams officially joins Iowa basketball program
- Brown: From Black and Gold to Go Blue; Goodbye, Jake
- Former Hawkeye Samantha Logic invited to WNBA Draft
- Podcast: 'On Iowa' talks Beathard, offensive line and night football
- Daniels Primed for Breakout Season
- Hawkeyes rally from tough loss, beat Cornell
- Hawkeye Football practice 10 pics
- Logic ready to take the next step
- AMAZING WORDS FROM AN AMAZING MAN