TO SCHERFF, OR NOT TO SCHERFF. Kirk Ferentz is taking a page right from the Bill Belichick playbook. When asked about Brandon Scherff's status for this week's game on his weekly radio call-in show Wednesday night, Ferentz said Scherff was "out at practice" yesterday moving around and KF hasn't ruled him out yet.
FERENTZ MAY HAVE ALSO SLIGHTED PAUL RHOADS. In his weekly press conference, which Pat covered Wednesday, KF was asked if it was tougher recruiting Iowa with Rhoads at the helm. Ferentz said no. He said it was tougher with former Hawkeye Dan McCarney at the lead for Iowa State. Recruiting is what this game's about. There's a small number of division one prospects to battle for each year in Iowa. Paul Rhoads celebrates signing top recruits while Iowa holds open practices in Des Moines on Iowa State's spring game date. There's a battle here and ultimately, you're selling the results on the field tomorrow to recruits.
How important is this game to recruiting? Iowa will host over 40 recruits Saturday. The Gazette teamed with Hawkeye Report to give us a rundown of which big recruits will be in attendance.
SO, IOWA DON'T CARE? Don't believe that for a minute. It's not the "Super Bowl" as some may have you believe. Scott Dochterman found quotes from several former players that mentions a hate for Iowa State. Fred Barr literally said,
"I just hate Iowa State. I hate those guys. I can't stand them."
Me too, Fred. Me too.
PREDICTIONS. Let's take a look around and some picks on the Web. There's quite the split over at the ESPN conference blogs. ESPN's Big Ten bloggers think it's close but Iowa pulls it out. The Big 12 bloggers unanimously pick Iowa State to pull the upset. It's Iowa over ISU at the BTN (surprise). Bill Connelly's F/+ rankings simulates an Iowa win, 30-16 (ish). Finally, Marc Morehouse, of the Cedar Rapids Gazette, says Iowa 35, Iowa State 21.
YOUR HONORARY CAPTAIN.
Football. Jim Parker is Honorary Captain: Jim Parker, the son of former University of Iowa defensive coordinat... http://t.co/c31YmUJ1gi— The Iowa Hawkeyes (@TheIowaHawkeyes) September 11, 2014
YOUR KID CAPTAIN.
ESPN announcers on Saturday: Sean McDonough, Chris Spielman, Todd McShay. #Hawkeyes— Gameday Live (@IowaFBLive) September 11, 2014
Watch Saturday's game online if you aren't near a tv or radio: http://t.co/H7SyDSa2tv— Gameday Live (@IowaFBLive) September 9, 2014
- 3 and Out: Any hope Scherff plays?
- Peterson: 'It wouldn't shock me if Iowa State wins'
- Solution for Iowa: keep on running
- Phil Parker talks defensive improvement
- Some shitty Ames Trib article about Iowa State's shitty run game
- Hawkeye Sports interview with Miles Taylor
- Ferentz addresses mopeds, parking and the kicking game
- Some shitty Ames Trib article about Iowa State's shitty defense
- Josey Jewell returns to practice
- Some shitty Ames Trib article about Iowa State's shitty offense
- Big Ten awards race tracker: Week 2
- Some shitty Ames Trib article about Iowa State's shitty quarterback
- Hawkeyes' Alston: Cyclones talk a good game
- Kevonte Martin-Manley, king of third downs
- ESPN: Iowa-Iowa State needs new energy
- Morehouse's player interview video: part I, part II and only audio
- Bowl projections: ESPN, CBS, SBNation
- Game Notes: Iowa vs Iowa State
- The 10 best tailgates in college football