KIRK FERENTZ HAS BOLSTERED HIS FOOTBALL STAFF. It's targeted at their recruiting efforts. In June, Ferentz hired Seth Wallace to replace Eric Johnson as recruiting coordinator. This week, Iowa announced Kelvin Bell has been named director for on-campus recruiting. Bell had spent the previous two seasons as a special teams and defensive graduate assistant. Max Allen was named the director of football new media. Allen is the man responsible for the mailings to recruits we've seen pop up this summer (ESPN and EA Sports photo shop stuff). His previous title was administrative assistant.
Iowa plans to have four assistants focused on football recruiting. Scott Southmayd has a new title. He'd been Ferentz's quality control director for the past nine years. He's now the director of player personnel and will work directly with Wallace.
Also, Iowa adds former player Broderick Binns as a special teams graduate assistant. Binns graduated from Iowa in 2012.
OTHER COACHING NEWS.
#qctimes After leading Iowa to unprecedented golf success, Mark Hankins promoted to assistant to the director of athletics— Steve Batterson (@sbatt79) August 5, 2014
NICO LAW LANDS AT TOWSON.
Nico Law to Towson, per his Instagram pic.twitter.com/sEq14AoegC— PlannedSickDays (@PlannedSickDays) August 6, 2014
IT'S TIME FOR PRACTICE PICS. Ah August, the time where we scroll through pics from Hawkeye Sports looking for clues as to the starting lineup and which freshmen will play. Here's photo galleries from practice #2 and practice #3. Tyler Wiegers makes an appearance. So does Jalen Embry and Miles Taylor.
WHO HATES IOWA? Nobody?
ICYMI: Michigan & Ohio State fans rigged an online "Who do you hate most poll" with hilarious results pic.twitter.com/mEAWBYvZEW— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) August 7, 2014
IT'S NOT QUITE GAME WEEK YET, BUT NORTHERN IOWA DID HAVE THEIR MEDIA DAY YESTERDAY. UNI coach Mark Farley talks Iowa and Barkley Hill in this video:
UNI coach Mark Farley video on the Hawkeyes/Barkley Hill: http://t.co/qQdCIrxAVC— marcmorehouse (@marcmorehouse) August 6, 2014
ESPN PUBLISHES THEIR IOWA FOOTBALL SEASON PREVIEW. Brian Bennett says nine wins for Iowa this year. He also gives a very complimentary shout-out to a certain blog. Thanks Brian.
GESELL AND WOODBURY LOSE IN THE FINAL.
Mike Gesell posts 14 pts, 2 stls, 2 asts & Adam Woodbury has 5 pts, 14 rbs, 1 stl in USA East Coast loss to Estonia National Team overseas.— Iowa Basketball (@IowaHoops) August 6, 2014
SPEAKING OF HOOPS. We now know Iowa's opponent in the 2K Classic semifinals in Madison Square Garden in November. Iowa will open the semifinal round with Texas while California and Syracuse play the other game. The winner of each will face each other for the 2K Classic championship.
- Hopeful Confidence Turns to Solid Sureness
- Video: What's the best part of being a Hawkeye?
- Allegations led to Griesbaum's ouster
- Ten things you didn't know about Brandon Scherff
- Pipeline to the Pros: Top 25 CFB teams with most NFL talent
- Former Hawkeye Aaron Krueger set to compete at PGA Championships
- Delany expects NCAA autonomy vote to pass
- An untold Iowa field hockey saga
- Football Players Not Typically Cut Out For Hollywood
- Big Ten remains a run-heavy league
- King looks to build off of freshman campaign
- Rivals' Preseason All-Big Ten team
- FILA releases new rankings, Metcalf breaks through
- Cellucci to remain as interim field hockey coach
- Black & Gold Scrimmage Set for Aug. 23
- No. 15 - OLB Travis Perry
- Q & A with Drew Ott
- Hamilton catches leadership role
- QB Beathard prepared to be the main man