BRIAN FERENTZ CALLS BRANDON SCHERFF THE BEST OFFENSIVE LINEMAN IN THE NATION. Here's part one of Brian Ferentz and Reese Morgan from Marc Morehouse's YouTube channel. The rest of the press conference is included there so take a look if video is your thing.
Here's the transcript from Hawkeye Sports. I'll summarize bullet style:
- In recruiting they've taken best available players regardless of position and that's impacted OL depth
- BF: we've been fortunate with the OL walk-ons
- BF doesn't believe win and loss record impacts recruiting as much as other variables
- Sean Welsh carries himself well and just needs experience
- They are looking for the best five for the OL
- Like last year, they could play six to seven linemen with a guard rotation
- Improving stadium experience starts with winning football games
- BF: We'll see if the stadium experience improves next year
- BF: We intend on winning more than eight games
- BF on Houston Texans question: I'm here to talk about the 2014 Hawkeyes
- Ryan Ward is working at tackle and some guard
- RM: Jim Reid is a cornucopia of ideas
- RM: Phil Parker does a masterful job of keeping things simple
- RM: Not comfortable with the defensive line yet
- RM: In a lot of programs, Iowa's DEs would be DTs
- RM: Like the NFL and around college football, Iowa will use a special package on passing downs
- Carl Davis has grown and matured and spends a lot of time watching film and studying the defense
- For a young guy like Jaleel Johnson to see the field he has to be consistent in practice
- Nate Meier is really coming on
- Riley McMinn is finally healthy
- Carl Davis has become the leader for the defense
- Nate Bazata is getting some work with the second unit
- RM: Scherff isn't worried about getting hurt, he's going 100% every rep
And there's certainly more but we have to move on.
ESPN'S BIG TEN BLOGGERS GOT TO SEE SOME PRACTICE YESTERDAY. And they have Vines. Here's a few:
Offensive coordinator Greg Davis and QB Jake Rudock pic.twitter.com/2FEUdhcPrQ— ESPN Big Ten (@ESPN_BigTen) April 16, 2014
Quarterbacks and tight ends https://t.co/oG6HnGGx8n— ESPN Big Ten (@ESPN_BigTen) April 16, 2014
Linemen getting after it https://t.co/y9of3uGeC9— ESPN Big Ten (@ESPN_BigTen) April 16, 2014
STICKING WITH FOOTBALL VIDS, A GLIMPSE OF THE FUTURE, PERHAPS.
Jack Beneventi going through a progression drill #Elite11 https://t.co/WyhliOLyxy— Tom VanHaaren (@TomVH) April 12, 2014
Iowa QB commit Jack Beneventi looks the part. Big dude https://t.co/Ec12mc4j7I— Tom VanHaaren (@TomVH) April 12, 2014
SPEAKING OF RECRUITING. ESPN released their Top 300 and there's one 2015 Hawkeye prospect on the list, Drew Cook. The rest of Iowa's current commitments all come in at three-stars according to ESPN. ESPN still lists 22ish prospects in their Top 300 with Iowa interest. Also, if you're already looking ahead to 2016, 24/7 released their first Top 247. There's WDM Valley offensive linemen John Raridon there at #33. Nebraska is going to be tough to beat for Raridon though.
NOW, TO HOOPS. Iowa Men's Basketball held their team banquet the other night. Roy Devyn Marble won the Chris Street Award.
Devyn Marble stands with Mike and Patty Street after being presented with the Chris Street Award at tonight’s banquet pic.twitter.com/XVnZgJtLiZ— Iowa Basketball (@IowaHoops) April 16, 2014
Fran McCaffery also talked a little bit about the last season and the program going forward. Fran said they'll "probably carry the extra scholarship over" but added they're award there's a lot of transfers out there. Iowa has two scholarships to fill after Kyle Meyer decided to transfer from the program. There's two because...
TREY DICKERSON SIGNS HIS LETTER OF INTENT. Iowa's 2014 hoops recruiting class added a point guard yesterday. Dickerson was named the most outstanding player in his conference and third team all-american in junior college. Fran McCaffery called him a "perfect fit for our style."
FINALLY, CONGRATS TO HAWKEYE GOLFER STEVEN IHM.
Congrats to #Hawkeyes senior Steven Ihm (@Scuba_steve60) -- named Big Ten Men’s Golfer of the Week! #GoHawks pic.twitter.com/eyew5WRW5i— Iowa Hawkeye Golf (@IowaHawkeyeGolf) April 16, 2014
- Quick Slants: Texans job, Raider package and more
- Despite experience, Morgan expects more from Hawkeye defensive front
- What's not to love about Brandon Scherff?
- Underappreciated Hamilton headlines Iowa TE group
- Video: Iowa DT Carl Davis
- Staff expects Hawkeyes' best offensive lineman to get even better
- Iowa Men's Basketball Announces Team Awards at Banquet
- Hawkeyes Fall to Western Illinois in Extras
- #TEAMPAT22 t-shirt for charity
- Donnal brothers' bond tight
- Yesterday's football practice pics