IOWA MEN'S BASKETBALL SEASON IS OVER. Iowa's loss at Dayton versus Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament First Four was the final chapter of the 2013-14 season. It's heartbreaking for Hawkeye seniors Roy Devyn Marble, Melsahn Basabe, Darius Stokes and Zach McCabe. Some Hawks took to social media to express their gratitude to the Hawkeye fanbase for being in their corner for their four years on campus:
I love Iowa. Coming here was a dream and every day was like living a dream. There is always ups and… http://t.co/UJ4vNSzUyN— Melsahn Basabe (@_MellyJose) March 21, 2014
I just want to thank all the hawk fans that been behind us the whole season, through ups and downs. We appreciate your support.— Peter jok (@Jok_City) March 20, 2014
4 seniors who helped to reignite this program will not suit up again for the Hawkeyes. So proud of them. They laid a foundation 4 future.— Sherman Dillard (@shermandillard) March 20, 2014
WHILE THE BASKETBALL SEASON IS OVER, A MORE IMPORTANT BATTLE BEGINS. We learned last week that Fran McCaffery's son Patrick woud have surgery to remove a tumor from his thyroid. In the hours leading up to Iowa's game with Tennessee, Hawkeye fans used social media to show their support for the McCafferys. The surgery went as planned. McCaffery's wife Margaret created a Twitter account to let us know Patrick was in good spirits and supporting the Hawks.
Young Patrick was released Thursday evening. Just in time to go home and enjoy the rest of his 14th birthday. Last night, we learned the news that Patrick's tumor is malignant. McCaffery released a statement through the University of Iowa:
"Today, we received word from doctors that the tumor that was removed during our son Patrick's surgery on Wednesday is malignant. We will visit with doctors as soon as possible to determine Patrick's treatment.
"Margaret and I would like to thank everyone again for the outpouring of support from across the country for our son Patrick and family this past week. We appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers."
SO MUCH THIS.
TeamPat Prayers & Hope 🙌 to Lil bro. We fight together . The McCaffery family are special people. God is with them in this fight.— Melsahn Basabe (@_MellyJose) March 21, 2014
Just saw my bud Patrick and he kept saying how loud he's going to cheer at our game Sunday. Whatta trooper. He wants the W... Deal #TeamPat— Ally Disterhoft (@ADisterhoft) March 22, 2014
Let's remember there's bigger things than losing in the NCAA tournament! Praying for Patrick and the McCaffery's! #TeamPat— Kyle Denning (@KDenning13) March 21, 2014
FOTP MARC MOREHOUSE SAID IT BEST.
Because kids shouldn’t carry this weight. Because being a father and coach isn’t mutually exclusive. Because family is everything. #TeamPat— marcmorehouse (@marcmorehouse) March 19, 2014
- Men's Basketball: What Next Year Holds for Iowa
- Iowa women opponent Marist has history of NCAA success
- Scott Dochterman of the CR Gazette wrapping up hawkeye hoops
- Iowa Outlasts Illinois in Extras, Takes B1G Opener
- Doxsie: Hawkeyes made progress despite disappointing finish
- UI Volleyball Spring Schedule Announced
- Big Ten tournament to expand to 13 games with addition of Maryland, Rutgers
- Hawkeye Sports Report 3/20/14
- McCaffery showed empathy for Iowa fan before outpouring for son
- Video interview: Devyn Marble
- Hawkeyes to Make 20 Appearances on BTN/BTDN
- It was the season that wasn't for Hawkeyes
- Passing is Logic's passion
- The rest of the Fran McCaffery story, featuring Kirk Ferentz
- Nate Kaeding interviews Ray Hamilton and Aaron White
- Tennessee game: What we learned
- Iowa baseball beats Nebraska 2-1