HERE ARE THE GAME NOTES. Mark Weisman can surpass 1,000 yards rushing for a career with 85 against Missouri State. Both teams are 0-1 on the season and have never before played. Iowa has a losing streak dating back to Penn State at Iowa last year. Missouri State is led by former Northern Iowa coach Terry Allen.
IT'S GONNA BE HOT, AGAIN. We got a lucky break for tailgating last week when the 100 degree heat stayed away and the morning was cloudy and cool. Game time temps hit 90 and this week the forecast is similar. The same water rules will be in place at Kinnick. With the earlier kickoff, the heat of the day could hold off until the fourth quarter.
WE KNOW WHO WON'T BE THERE. 3,000 student tickets went unsold. Iowa sold approximately 7,400 of the usual 10,400 tickets to students this year. Since student sales is down, section 217 will be designated for the general public. There are 6,000 total tickets still for sale.
WILL IOWA SLOW DOWN THEIR OFFENSE WITH THE HEAT? Kirk Ferentz mentioned in his press conference that they would change tempo depending on the opponent. Iowa's part of the no-huddle uptempo revolution in college football. Last week they ran 80 plays but this week's game could be determined well before the fourth quarter. Still, if Iowa's second and third quarterbacks can get a crack at running the offense, they still might want to see how they do with controlling the tempo.
HOW ABOUT INCLUDING THE TIGHT ENDS? Iowa targeted the tight end only five times of 37 passes against NIU. One of those targets resulted in a touchdown by C.J. Fiedorowicz. We heard all summer long about the "strength" of offense being the tight end position. This will be good week to work the middle of the field.
HERE'S A VIDEO OF MISSOURI STATE IN ACTION.
Football: Northwestern State 23, Missouri State 17 (Highlights) (via Southland Conference Digital Network)
MISSOURI STATE IS A 3-4 BASE DEFENSE. That'll present a little different challenge for Greg Davis and the Iowa offense. Still, as you see on the YouTube, they could trot out about any defense with those players and Iowa should have success.
MARC MOREHOUSE BREAKS DOWN ADVANTAGES. He says MSU has one over Iowa with their pass defense. The rest are given to Iowa in this mismatch. Morehouse predicts a 42-7 Iowa win.
HAWKEYE HOOPS RANKED BY THE SPORTING NEWS AND LINDY'S.
Big Ten teams in The Sporting News preseason top 25: MSU (2), Michigan (7), Ohio State (11), Wisconsin (14), Iowa (23), Indiana (25).— Alex Bozich (@insidethehall) September 5, 2013
Big Ten teams in Lindy's Sports preseason top 25: MSU (1), Ohio State (6), Michigan (10), Iowa (17), Indiana (20).— Alex Bozich (@insidethehall) September 5, 2013
HERE'S ANOHER NON-CON HOOPS GAME. Iowa will play Abilene Christian in the first round of the Battle for Atlantis on November 17th. They were 12-14 last year in Division II. This will be their first year playing basketball with the big boys so don't go looking for last year's RPI.
IOWA GETS THE LATE GAME IN DES MOINES.
Tip times set for Big Four in Des Moines on Dec. 7: #Hawkeyes vs Drake tip at 7:30 pm, after Iowa State vs UNI (5 pm).— Iowa Basketball (@IowaHoops) September 5, 2013
- Kid Captain Carson Thomas' photo collection from last Saturday
- Hlas Podcast: Nate Kaeding talks about NFL life
- Making sense of using Fiedorowicz
- 9/5/2013: Talkin' Hawks podcast (Iowa vs. Missouri State)
- Casey Hayward out, Micah Hyde ready if needed
- Hawkeye DB Tanner Miller
- Hawkeye LB Christian Kirksey
- Weisman closes in on milestone
- Mitch King: Winning during the week
- Station: `It Seems Like a Dream'
- Ferentz radio show - Fumigating hog barns
- Fox to make major push for B1G rights
- Podcast: ‘On Iowa' previews Missouri State game
- Stopping big plays no little thing for Hawkeyes' secondary
- The Alvis family of Harrison County
- Three and Out - The whole '98 thing
- King is in the Water, Swimming
- Iowa softball uses fall to come together, expand skill set
- Iowa Volleyball Continues Road Swing at Valpo Popcorn Classic
- Kid Captain: Michaela Inman