FIRST, RIP JIM ZABEL. Adam uniquely said goodbye to the original voice of the Hawkeyes. Zabel's friends and former colleagues did so as well. Here, bullet style, are links to other Zabel stories and posts from around the web:
- Ed Podolak talks about Jim Zabel
- Colleagues and friends remember legendary broadcaster Jim Zabel
- Jim Zabel: Gone too soon at 91
- Jim Zabel, Iowa broadcasting legend, dies at 91
- Broadcaster Jim Zabel Passes
- Remembering the life of Jim Zabel
- Reaction to the Passing of Jim Zabel
- Jim Zabel Passes Away at 91
- Jim Zabel Tribute Video
- Keith and Andy celebrate the life of Jim Zabel with Joel McCrea, Ed Podolak, Van Harden, Gary Dolphin, Lute Olson, and Jon Miller.
WE NOW KNOW THE START TIMES FOR A FEW IOWA FOOTBALL GAMES. The kickoff for the battle for the Floyd of Rosedale at Minnesota on September 28th is set for 2:30 pm CDT. Iowa will also have a 2:30 afternoon kickoff at Ohio State October 19th. Iowa's home game against Michigan State October 5th and road game at Nebraska November 29th is set for 11:00 am. ABC will broadcast both the Minnesota and Nebraska games. ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 will carry the game at Ohio State. Television for Michigan State at Iowa is still to be determined.
IOWA NEEDS A NEW BASEBALL COACH. Last week, Jack Dahm's contract was not renewed. Jack Dahm simply did not win enough. For Iowa baseball, perhaps it is a facilities issue. Or maybe it's history, or lack thereof. When Gary Barta hires a new coach he'll have a strong start as Dahm had a solid recruiting class coming in. Still, winning at Iowa isn't going to be easy.
SPEAKING OF HISTORY. Kirk Ferentz has added to Iowa's football history during his tenure as coach. Last week, the Cedar Rapids Gazette took a look at some of the best of the Kirk Ferentz era. Marc Morehouse runs down the best of the best at each position under Ferentz. No real surprises here but an interesting conversation piece, certainly.
IOWA FOOTBALL IS ALREADY NEAR THE TOP OF THE BIG TEN IN ONE STAT. Returning starters. Indiana leads the league with a whopping 21 starters returning from last year. Iowa sits even with Penn State and Purdue at 16. Of Iowa's 16 is three senior linebackers. Anthony Hitchens, James Morris and Christian Kirksey are picked as the best in the Big Ten by NFLMocks.com.
- Part 1: ‘On Iowa' podcast tabs top Ferentz players
- Part 2: ‘On Iowa' on best Ferentz defenders
- Dubuque County I-Club Interviews
- Top Ten College Towns
- Bucs welcome Adrian Clayborn's return
- Swing with the Celebrities Golf Tournament
- Banks, Clemons headline 2013 Hall of Fame class
- Angerer, thankful for heros
- Video: Most Important Game -- Iowa
- The Iowa Hawkeyes can make you rich!
- What if no BCS, just College Football Playoff?
- Hancock breaks down ‘College Football Playoff'
- MnB B1G Preview 2013: Iowa after the backslide
- MnB B1G Preview 2013: Iowa's Schedule
- B1G notes: future FB skeds, women's hoops
- Hawkeye Hauler to help tornado victims
- Iowa doubles up on qualifiers, sending five more to NCAA final site