KIRK FERENTZ'S SQUAD BECOMES BOWL ELIGIBLE. With two games to go in the football season, Iowa is eligiblefor the college football bowl season with a 38-14 win over Purdue. Kirk Ferentz talked about the win, let's go the to video:
Iowa Football Defeats Purdue 38-14 - Highlights and Reaction (via Iowa Hawkeyes)
Iowa-Purdue -- Hawkeyes greet fans after victory (via Marc Morehouse)
THE PLAYERS ALSO TALKED ABOUT THE WIN. Marc Morehouse has postgame video. He talks to Jordan Canzeri, Mark Weisman, Damon Bullock, Brandon Scherff, James Morris and Jake Rudock. It was windy in West Lafayette so the audio isn't the greatest.
LET'S GET RECAP-Y. The Hawkeyes got behind their strength, the offensive line, and plowed over, through and around Purdue's young defense. Iowa used a steady dose of Jordan Canzeri and Damon Bullock to gash the Boilers for 318 total rushing yards on the day. Canzeri led the way with a break out day gaining 165 yards on 20 carries. Purdue hung with Iowa in the first half but eventually, the offensive line and Iowa's rushing attack wore them down and Iowa ran away with the victory.
HOW ABOUT SOME NCAA STATS? Iowa's defense is now ranked 11th in the country in total defense allowing only 319.2 yards per game. Iowa's rush defense ranks 26th (130 ypg), the pass defense is tied for 12th nationally (189.2 ypg). Iowa's offense moved up to 76th nationally. Rushing offense ranks 43rd (193.9 ypg) and the pass offense 88th (204 ypg).
BOWL STUFF. Now that Iowa is bowl eligible, we can pay more attention to those predictions to where Iowa may play. SB Nation predicts Iowa to the Heart of Dallas Bowl to take on Notre Dame. Jerry Palm also says the Heart of Dalls Bowl but to play Rice (ewww). Scott Dochteman predicts Iowa to the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in Phoenix to take on Texas.
FRAN MCCAFFERY'S TEAM IS NOW 2-0. It wasn't pretty but Iowa overcame a lazy first thirty minutes to eventually overtake Nebraska-Omaha yesterday. Iowa got the season started off with a win Friday night over UNC-Wilmington. Fran McCaffery talked (audio and transcript) about Iowa getting to 2-0. (Video Source)
Iowa 83, UNO 75 Fran McCaffery 11/10/2013 HawkeyeDrive.com (via Brendan Stiles)
LISA BLUDER'S TEAM IS ALSO 2-0. The biggest hoops win over the weekend was Lisa Bluder's squad pulling off the upset over #14 ranked Dayton yesterday at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. It took overtime for the Hawkeyes to win 97-93. Samantha Logic earned MVP honors for the Hawkeye Challenge tournament.
HAT'S OFF THE THE WOMEN'S FIELD HOCKEY TEAM. The Hawkeye women's field hockey team had a 2-0 halftime lead over Michigan State in the Big Ten tournament finale. The Spartans would rally to score three goals in the second half to win the championship. While they came up short, it was a solid run.
AND, LET'S NOT FORGET WOMEN'S SOCCER. Iowa women's soccer also made it to the Big Ten tournament finale. Like field hockey, the ladies came up a goal short to top-seeded Nebraska. They too, had a helluva run.
- Iowa-Purdue notebook
- Hawkeyes warmed by breeze over Boilers
- Play of the Game: Rudock to Martin-Manley
- Carving a legend: The 500th game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena
- Iowa Routs Purdue to Become Bowl Eligible
- Iowa 38, Purdue 14: Post Game Notes
- What we learned from Iowa's win over UNC-Wilmington
- Jarrod Uthoff UNC-W post game video
- Iowa men trounce UNCW behind Uthoff, Jok
- Report card: Purdue
- Tom's Take: My Week 11 honors, grades & stocks
- Hawkeyes not satisfied with just being bowl eligible
- Hawkeyes keep calm, hold off UNO
- Iowa's tough guys come through in victory (over UNO)
- Stat Pak: Getting over some things
- UNO game: What we learned
- Shumpert makes most of stretch-run
- Ferentz credits senior leadership for success
- Hawkeyes are all about opportunity right now
- Next for Hawkeyes: Game of the year
- ESPN's what we learned in the Big Ten: Week 11
- Jordan Canzeri: helmet sticker