Senior quarterback James Vandenberg talks NIU (via hawkeyesportstv)
THE FIRST KIRK FERENTZ GAME WEEK PRESS CONFERENCE OF THE YEAR TOOK PLACE. Here is a link to the press conference transcript. I'll cover some of the main points bullet style:
- Captains: James Morris, James Vandenberg, James Ferentz, Micah Hyde
- While Canzeri is back practicing, it will be weeks if not months before he can return
- Ferentz feels he has three running backs (Bullock, Garmon, and Malloy)
- Brad Rogers is good to go but Mark Weisman had a really good camp
- Plan on all three running backs getting some action
- Greg Garmon is a dynamic player
- Expect six to seven to play along the defensive line
- Four true frosh in the two-deeps will play, others doubtful unless something happens
- Micah Hyde is still the punt returner
- The starter at the SS position is still undecided. Kirk is comfortable with either Donatell or Law
THERE'S PLAYER VIDEOS. Scott Dochterman talked to Darian Cooper, Carl Davis, Tom Donatell and B.J. Lowery. The topic of course, playing Northern Illinois. Doc also grabbed video of offensive players. Here, he has Keenan Davis, Austin Blythe, Brandon Scherff and James Ferentz.
RUNNING BACK. Marc Morehouse has notes from Kirk Ferentz's Big Ten teleconference (that took place before his press conference). Ferentz was asked about the wrath of AIRBHG (well, not directly) and per Morehouse there was an "audible sigh on the other side of the line." Damon Bullock is the number one guy. There will be a running back-by-committee approach. Brad Rogers could even see some time at running back.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS COACH DAVE DOEREN ISN'T SCARED. Randy Peterson writes that Northern Illinois coach Dave Doeren "knows stress." He's jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. He's also sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Wrigley. His team has been to Soldier Field before. They've faced quality Big Ten opponents. They'll be ready Saturday for the Hawkeyes.
DOEREN, LIKE FERENTZ, ALSO HELD A PC YESTERDAY. Here is part one of the transcript. Doeren wants his Huskies to get off to a fast start against Iowa. He also discussed NIU's depth chart, the starters on the OLine and true freshmen seeking playing time. Also, here is a recap of press conference quotes from NIU's athletics website.
THE HUSKIES HAVE ONLY TWO RETURNING STARTERS ON OFFENSE. Their lone returning offensive lineman, Logan Pegram, broke his leg just prior to the season. Doeren says that while his offensive line is young and green they are talented players.
BIG TEN BLOGGERS RELEASE THEIR PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM. There's only one Hawkeye that makes the list and C.J. Fiedorowicz is that lone representative. Rittenberg and Bennett went with only one wide receiver and noted that a great season from Keenan could earn him a spot. For now, there's three running backs.
KIRK FERENTZ WASN'T THE ONLY COACH IOWA TALKING TO THE MEDIA. Fran McCaffery shared some news with members of the media at the Chris Street Golf Outing at Finkbine Golf Course. Fran says Patrick Ingram had some work to do to become academically eligible and is good to go. McCaffery also talked about Dev Marble's NBA hopes and the importance of Iowa's non-conference schedule. Finally, McCaffery talked about Friday's Iowa Day at Wrigley and throwing out the game's first pitch.
KYLE MEYER PLEADS GUILT TO POSSESSION OF ALCOHOL CHARGE. Initially, the charge was public intox. Meyer pleaded guilty to possession of alcohol. Meyer will serve some community sevice and pay a small fine. He did make a statement:
"I feel bad for making such a mistake, letting my teammates, family and coaches down, as well as the fans of Iowa basketball, who have welcomed me with open arms. I have almost no experience with alcohol, as is obvious from what happened, and I will learn from this experience and ensure nothing like this ever happens again."
- Hawkeyes in the NFL: 2012 Preseason Week Four
- Video: B1G's Offensive Player of Year race
- Watch ‘On Iowa Live' with Ed Hinkel
- Sash's suspension stands after NFL meeting
- Eric Guthrie cut by Tampa Bay
- Cornhuskers preview Iowa football
- The latest On Iowa Podcast
- Ward Added to Leadership Group
- Eagles' Vandervelde can do a number on you
- Big Ten commish takes on Kilimanjaro
- "The Mike Hlas Podcast" with NIU's radio voice
- Former Iowa wrestler Montell Marion arrested again
- PHarty: Podolak lucky in the knee department
- Spirited Carl Davis, defensive line mostly unheralded
- 8/28/2012: Iowa football notebook
- Expect some sputters before Iowa's new car gets in gear [with video]
- NIU hopes to gain respect against Iowa
- "Iowa guy" is a badge of honor for Donatell
- Iowa Notebook: Hawkeyes name captains
- Ferentz: Hawkeyes set to face 'a sleeping giant'
- Iowa sets standard for Doeren
- Your guide to Hawkeye tailgating
- Iowa's foe searching for Soldier Field redemption