AND FOOTBALL NEWS WE HAVE. First, if you missed any of the news from Big Ten media days check these links for the timeline (Thursday | Friday). Mike Hlas and Marc Morehouse, both of the Cedar Rapids Gazette spent some time with Kirk Ferentz on Friday. Ferentz talked to Hlas about his son Brian. Hlas also talked to James Vandenberg. Morehouse talked with Ferentz about social media among other things.
FRIDAY, WE LEARNED OF SOME NEW NAMES ON IOWA'S ROSTER. Former Hawkeye Chuck Hartlieb's son Dan is one of those new names. Hartlieb joined Iowa as a walk-on quarterback. He played at Dowling Catholic High School in West Des Moines, Iowa. Here are his Hudl highlights.
Iowa also added a senior walk-on to the defensive line. John Sawhill is a three year letter winner from Drake University. Last season for the Bulldogs he earned second-team All-PFL honors. Here's John answering some football questions last season.
Finally, Iowa added Sean Skradis from Iowa Western Community College. He played quarterback at IWCC but will join the Hawkeyes as a defensive back. He's originally from Kennesaw, Georgia and boasts a 4.6 40-yard dash. Here is a YouTube of Sean playing QB.
FOR SUCCESS IN 2012 WE NEED TO USE A CLICHE FROM LAST YEAR. Iowa needs "good stories" to emerge. That's not the first time we've read/heard that. But it's true. Is there a Ramon Ochoa on this team?
ABOUT THOSE BILLBOARDS. Randy Peterson asked Gary Barta what he thought about little brother's AD Jamie Pollard placing "Welcome Home Bob" billboards around the state. Barta said, " It's not very high on my things to worry about." Sick burn.
NEW JERSEYS FOR THIS FALL. Brian Ferentz tweeted a pic of the jerseys Hawkeye footballers will wear. There's a slight change. Hello B1G logo.
CHIEFS CAMP IS OPEN AND RICKY STANZI HAS BEEN TOO BUSY TO ENJOY THE OLYMPICS. Stanzi told Arrowhead Pride that not getting to watch on TV is "nerve wracking," but he does appear to have a smart phone. Stanzi's favorite Olympian is Michael Phelps.
MIKE DANIELS IS BACK FROM INJURY AND COMPETING IN PACKER CAMP. Packer News is excited he's ready to go. Daniels had a scary incident when fellow rookie Mike McCabe was injured in a drill.
MARVIN MCNUTT IS MOVING UP THE DEPTH CHART. McNutt's main competition at wide receiver with the Eagles, Riley Cooper, broke a collar bone in practice. Cooper will be out at least six weeks and that means Marvin's opportunity is now. McNutt is working with the second team offense.
- Illinois coach grew up in Iowa City
- Iowa Men's Hoops will play South Dakota December 4th
- VIDEO: Iowa's Micah Hyde and James Ferentz talk about uniforms, family
- Best of 2012 Big Ten media days
- HARTY: Michigan seniors winless vs. UI
- Ricky Stanzi signs autographs for young Chiefs fans
- Riley Reiff working at second string RT
- Miami's Eric Steinbach on the mend
- Shanahan says Bernstine has "elite speed"
- Shanahan on Gettis, "he has a chance to help us out"
- Ryan Donahue getting first punting reps
- Edds injures knee in Colts camp
- Chiefs' Charles, Berry and Moeaki all practice on first day of camp
- Kaeding Looking to Make Up for Lost Time
- Gallery happy to be in New England
- Chandler seizes opportunity with Bills
- Greg Brunner signs with Reggio Emilia
- Hawkeye verbal commit David Kenney was in Iowa City trying on the new jersey
- Cole says Hawkeye hype is for real
- Shaun Prater out with a knee injury
- Project Meyer loyal to Hawkeyes