FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE, WELL, BHGP EXISTED the Hawkeye men's basketball team won a Big Ten Tournament game. Despite not making a field goal for the game's final nine plus minutes the Hawkeyes held on to win thanks to clutch free throws from senior Matt Gatens. Matt was 4/4 from the free throw line and had a team high 20 points in Iowa's 64-61 win.
GATENS DIDN'T DO IT ALONE. Freshman Aaron White stuffed the stat sheet with 13 points, nine rebounds and three steals. White's biggest rebound came in the game's final minute after Devyn Marble missed the front end of a one-and-one. White secured the board and got the ball into Gaten's hands who was fouled and nailed both free throws.
Roy Dev Marble said about the win,
"It means a lot, especially for Matt, a guy that has been here all four years and has really been loyal to the program and fans,"
"I don't want it to end"
Marble also said,
"I think that's (the win) a wonderful accomplishment for coach Fran, I'm happy for him. I love him to death."
BRYCE CARTWRIGHT ALSO PLAYED WELL. Bryce only had five points on 2/7 shooting but had seven assists to only two turnovers. Cartwright has battled injuries all season but finally is feeling good. John Bohnenkamp has this Cartwright postgame quote,
"I can play this game. So it was very gratifying today just to ball like I did and get my teammates involved."
FORMER PLAYERS ARE GIVING THE LOVE TOO. Former Hawkeye Jarryd Cole joined the Iowa Twitter nation during the game and offered his two cents. He also had this tweet after the game:
NO NCAA TOURNAMENT MEANS ILLINOIS WILL TURN ITS EYES TO ATHLETIC DIRECTOR MIKE THOMAS. The "Illini experience in the Big Ten tournament" is over writes Hail to the Orange's Joe Kutsunis. Illinois' head coach Bruce Weber is thought to be a goner now that their season ended in a such horrible slide. IlliniHQ writes "there were tears" from Weber after the game. IlliniHQ also says that Myers Leonard was "wishing his teammates good luck."
UP NEXT FOR IOWA IS NUMBER ONE SEED MICHIGAN STATE. Iowa advances to take on Sparty at 11:00 am (CST) on ESPN. This will be Iowa's first game carried by ESPN this season. The two teams met once in the regular season and it wasn't pretty. Michigan State thumped Iowa 95-61 in East Lansing. Michigan State is led by Big Ten Player of the Year Draymond Green but will be without freshman standout Brandon Dawson.
MICHIGAN STATE HAS WON THREE IN A ROW AGAINST IOWA. And eight of the last nine games. Iowa and Michigan State have played four times in the 14 year Big Ten Tournament history. Each team has two wins.
SOME TWEETS OF INTEREST (MAYBE):
INTERESTING TWEET FROM HARTY, DOCHTERMAN SAYS IS AIN'T SO. Scott Dochterman, of the Cedar Rapids Gazette, reached out to a Big Ten official and learned that they don't have a rule or objection to the CBI Tournament.
- Former Hawkeye Scott Chandler re-signs with the Buffalo Bills
- Kirk Ferentz moved the start of spring practice up three days
- Matt Gatens delivers Iowa past Illinois in the Big Ten Tournament
- Iowa-Illinois notes: Meyers Leonard, Eric May, Bruce Weber's future, videos
- Iowa Gymnastics Looks to Peak at the Right Time
- Howe: Meaningful Victory
- 5 Swimmers Qualify for 2012 NCAA Championships
- Iowa thrower finds way to express himself
- Iowa/Illinois Final Recap and Highlights on BTN.com
- Iowa hopes quarterfinal game against Michigan State will be 'totally different' from last time
- Quad-Cities couples hooked on Hawks, Big Ten tourney
- Iowa releases salaries for new football assistant coaches
- Iowa must match Michigan State's toughness to have a chance
- Finally, Woods finds an office
- Kirk Ferentz, Twitter and Honey Nut Cheerios
- Undersized McCabe does dirty work for Hawks by default
- Michigan State is am 11 point favorite (link to tweet)
- Distressingly Late Live Blogs, Second Half-Only Edition: Iowa vs Illinois