KIRK FERENTZ TALKED TO THE MEDIA TUESDAY. First, there was the Big Ten teleconference. Ferentz then met with the media in Iowa City. Here is the transcript and video. I'll summarize bullet style.
- Mark Weisman suffered a sprained ankle and is medically cleared to play
- How Weisman performs (in practice leading up) will determine if he plays Saturday
- Doesn't sound like a high ankle sprain for MW
- Kirk has confidence in Mike Meyer
- Jordan Cotton has worked hard and it's paying off
- Going to have to play their best against a tough Penn State defense
- B.J. Lowery and Austin Blythe are both probable
- Jordan Canzeri could play Saturday night
- Damon Bullock is probably out this week
FOR ALMOST A YEAR THE WORLD HAS FOCUSED ON PENN STATE. All of the outside "noise" has brought this group of players together. There's sanctions that prohibit this team from playing in the post season. Some wondered if the wheels would fall off, especially after losing their first two games. They've stuck together and have won four in-a-row heading to Iowa City.
IOWA IS AT THE HALFWAY POINT. The 4-2 record isn't necessarily a surprise but how they got to 4-2 certainly is. Prior to the season it was a reasonable prediction that Iowa's offense would lead the way. We know now that's not the case, at least in terms of the passing game. The run game is working. The defense is working. Mike Meyer is good. It's a matter of if and not when the passing game figures it out.
TAKING A CLOSER LOOK AT THE BOX SCORE. The Daily Iowan has interesting notes in their weekly look into the box score of Iowa's game versus Michigan State. Iowa forced the MSU offense into five three-and-outs. DI also notes that opposing quarterbacks have a rating of 10.92 when facing 3rd down and between seven and nine yards.
- The latest On Iowa Podcast
- Hawkeyes in the NFL: Week 6 Recap
- 77.3 percent of Iowa's scoring this season has come from a walk-on and a former walk-on
- B1G kickoff times, TV plans for Oct. 27
- Meyer, Hitchens Earn Football Honors
- Iowa's Melsahn Basabe: ‘I let last year teach me'
- Hoops: 2012-2013 Big Ten Preseason All-Conference Teams
- Hoops: Big Ten Team Previews: Iowa Hawkeyes
- Midseason Football Awards: Mark Weisman
- Bowl projections: Slicing the Big Ten field in half
- 2012 Big Ten football TV schedule: Week Eight
- The Day The Goalposts Fell Down In East Lansing
- Erie's Garmon could start for Iowa against Penn State
- Penn State's Bill O'Brien pleased with team's return after the bye week
- Philly shocker: Eagles fire Juan Castillo
- Iowa Notebook: True definition of student-athletes
- ‘The Mike Hlas Podcast' talks Penn State with Harrisburg Patriot-News columnist David Jones
- UI's Hitchens (NCAA), former Hawkeye Greenway (NFL) are tackle leaders
- Weisman or Not, Hawkeyes Prep for Penn State
- Not all Penn State players remember the Iowa losses of 2010, 2009 and 2008
- What's Wrong with Vandy?
- If you should wear Gold or Black this Saturday night