Sure, it's incredibly overused (the headline) but we're in a hurry to get the conversation started. If you follow this sort of thing you know that Iowa is in the running for four bowls (in no particular order): Orange, Fiesta, Capital One, and Outback. The goal, of course, is to be invited as an at-large to one of the BCS bowls.
The BCS pecking order is as follows:
1. National Championship: BCS #1 (Florida or Alabama) vs. BCS #2 (likely Texas)
2. Rose Bowl: Pac-10 Champion (Oregon or Oregon State) vs. Big Ten Champion (Ohio State)
3. Sugar Bowl Pick #1: Replacement pick for SEC champion (Florida or Alabama)
4. Fiesta Bowl Pick #1: Replacement pick for Texas if they win out
5. Orange Bowl: ACC Champion vs. BCS at-large
6. Fiesta Bowl Pick #2: BCS at-large
7. Sugar Bowl Pick #2: BCS at-large
TCU and winner of Big East are currently guaranteed a place in two of the above at-large spots. Which means there are two remaining spots for at-large selections.
In the mix for at large bids are the Orange and the Fiesta at-large are:
Cincinnati or Pittsburgh (the loser)
Oregon (if they lose to Oregon State)
Georgia Tech (if they lose to Clemson)
I may be missing a team but I don't think so. Also, I am only listing serious candidates to be invited as an at-large.
Where are we going?
Where do you want us to go?
Where do you think we should go?
Here is the link to the latest BCS rankings.