This college football season is exactly like Tom Petty. It's ugly, it doesn't sing well, it doesn't play well, but despite all of that there's a certain unmistakable beauty about it. It's so ugly it's beautiful, like a Picasso, or Giada De Laurentiis. I bring you the blogpoll, inspired by the works of an American Hero, Tom Petty.
She's a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America too
She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves horses and her boyfriend too
- Arizona State (also, see: Jayhawks, Kansas) -- Yer rill pretty. You're the belle of the ball. Take a long, hard look in the mirror, you'll never be any prettier than you are right now. Enjoy it while it lasts! Sadly, your cotillion is just about over, and soon the jocks will be passing you around like a party favor.
An American Girl
It was kind of cold that night
She stood alone on her balcony
She could see the cars roll by
Out on 441
Like waves crashin' in the beach
And for one desperate moment there
He crept back in her memory
God it's so painful
Something that's so close
And still so far out of reach
- Cal - Why do you keep doing this to yourself? If you want to make a mess of your life, go for it, but do you have to get us involved every time? You have so much promise and the minute you get a taste of success you fuck it up. Just stop calling us and go away. I'm tired.
Into the Great Wide Open
Into the great wide open,
Under them skies of blue
Out in the great wide open,
A rebel without a clue
- Texas Tech - I'm beginning to wonder if you intentionally play horrible defense so you can get the ball back faster. Listen, we all know offense is more fun but would you mind just playing a little defense? Football is a copycat game and if all y'all would win the conference and finish in the top 5 we'd see 20 programs start running your peppy offense. The thought of that arouses me. To get me there, you need end of the season success against a major program. This will require some defense, so do us all a favor and start tackling.
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Oh, my, my. Oh, hell, yes.
You got to put on that party dress.
It was too cold to cry when I woke up alone.
I hit my last number and walked to the road.
- LSU - You were quite the party girl last week, weren't you? Well look where that got you? I warned you but you just had to do it your way. Hope you got it out of your system because Dumbo is coming to town and he's bring the meanest defensive line in the country with him. Hope you guys learned to pass this week.
It's alright if you love me,
It's alright if you don't
I'm not afraid of you runnin' away honey,
I've got this feeling you won't
- South Carolina - The OBC has quietly found himself in a position to get a taste of the BCS pie. You heard me. I said "OBC" and "quietly" in the same sentence. I can't believe it either. Particularly shocking is the fact that he's doing it with defense. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a badder man in a visor. He does things his own way and he doesn't give a shit if you like it or not.
Runnin' Down A Dream
I rolled on as the sky grew dark
I put the pedal down to make some time
There's something good waitin' down this road
I'm pickin' up whatever is mine
- South Florida - You'll probably get tired of hearing me talk about them, but I can't help it. They just keep cruising along, seemingly oblivious to everything going on around them. They're a speeding car with no rear view mirror and I'm enjoying the ride along with them. Let's hope they don't crash tonight against Rutgers.