IF YOU'RE LIKE ME. You sat and waited for the BTN2Go app to load with a live stream of Iowa's football spring game. You also may be a little steamed after the tweet two minutes before 2:00 pm that said the Big Ten Network was having "technical difficulties." No word from the BTN on if the video will air on their television network. Let's hope they make good.
Like I imagine the old days without live streams, we'll have to live through others' eyes. Luckily, there's plenty of media coverage. If you were one of the estimated 20,000 to attend, please offer up your observations in the comments below.
Meanwhile, we have some highlights:
THE BTN TEASED HIGHLIGHTS TOO. It's one play and a video full of discussion about Iowa's upcoming season.
TO THE MEDIA COVERAGE. We'll start with some stats. Marc Morehouse has most of the stats and the list of first and second teamers. Derrick Willies and C.J. Beathard had the best statistical day.Willies collected 5 catches for 142 yards and a touchdown. Beathard totaled 349 yards passing completing 21 of 39 passes. Greg Davis took the time to work on Iowa's pass game. Jordan Canzeri had a 16-yard touchdown but Iowa didn't rush much. Jake Rudock added 165 yards passing on 11 for 22 attempts.
THERE'S MORE VIDEO. Brendan Stiles, of Hawkeye Drive, has video of the scrimmage. Here's six videos of the first half and Kirk Ferentz's short press conference following the game.
WE DIDN'T SEE A LOT OF DAMOND POWELL. Don't worry, he's coming along just fine. Powell says he's been working on "the development to a full receiver, full-time guy." There's a Powell video interview in that link.
We didn't see a lot of Travis Perry either. He's been struggling with minor injuries and illness these past couple weeks. He did suit up for the spring game but wore a red jersey. He was replaced in the lineup with red-shirt freshmen Josey Jewell and Bo Bower.
WE DID SEE PLENTY OF QUINTON ALSTON. The senior linebacker is considered a returning starter, according to Ferentz. Alston spent three years behind James Morris on the depth chart but played in all of Iowa's 13 games last season and was part of the Raider package as a rush end.
SPEAKING OF LINEBACKERS.
Great to wrap up spring practice with the Hawkeye LBs (plus Mason & Jack) pic.twitter.com/psJKqQ9GeN— LeVar Woods (@LeVarWoods) April 27, 2014
SO, IS THERE A QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY? Morehouse calls it a quarterback something. Greg Davis was quick to note that Jake Ruddock is the guy but the staff wants to take the upcoming time off to discuss getting Beathard a package of plays this fall. Ferentz says both quarterbacks have improved since January.
ALSO ANNOUNCED YESTERDAY.
Iowa just issued a release saying there will be a Norm Parker tribute open to the public at Kinnick on 5/31. #Hawkeyes— Brendan Stiles (@thebstiles) April 26, 2014
THERE'S PLENTY OF PICS FROM SOCIAL MEDIA.
- iHawkatKinnick's spring game photo bucket
- The spring thing
- Iowa Baseball Finishes Off 3-Game Sweep
- Hey, Hawkeyes have skill-position depth
- Noonan was a natural in football, basketball
- Who is Reggie Reid?
- Spring Football Scrimmage Quotes
- ‘Young guys' shine again in Iowa spring game
- Congrats Gabe Hull
- Don Shumpert worked out for the Rams
- Big Ten schools expect big payouts to continue
- Scherff returns for leading role
- 3 Hawkeyes Selected to Canadian Women's National Team
- Hawkeyes zero in on red zone entering spring game
- Adrian Clayborn reportedly won't be optioned by Bucs
- Green Bay Packers assistant offensive line coach Joel Hilgenberg has resigned
- Veteran Hawkeye receivers welcome the competition
- Reiff follows brother to Iowa
- McCaffery comfortable with current forwards
- Spring game preview: Iowa
- A super-early look at 2014-15 hoops predictions
- Pac-12 leads leagues in QB starts
- Fran McCaffery to Attend 9th Annual Dick Vitale Gala
- 5 Guys - The players, not the hamburgers
- 2014 NFL Mock Draft Update: 3rd Round Run
- Norm Parker Celebration of Life Service Planned
- Former Hawkeye men's hoops star Basabe visits Muscatine