The Swarm: Fall Camp Edition (via GoHawksTV)
FERENTZ SPEAKS. First, there was the Big Ten teleconference. Here's the audio, nothing big. Then, KF talked Northern Illinois before the local media in Iowa City. Here's a link to the transcript and notes. I'll pull some of the major points here bullet style:
- The team has practiced in the heat in preparation for Saturday
- They'll evaluate Rudock one series at a time
- Rudock has been the most consistent QB in practice, thus winning the starting nod
- KF didn't rule out Beathard or Sokol getting snaps
- LeShun is going to play
- Damond Powell has picked things up quickly
- Maybe a couple more true frosh play on defense
- Maybe a true frosh WR plays but down the road
- Jordan Walsh and Andrew Donnal will rotate at RG
Northern Illinois -- QB Jake Rudock (via Marc Morehouse)
NORTHERN ILLINOIS COACHES AND PLAYERS ALSO SPOKE BEFORE THE MEDIA TODAY. Northern Illinois expects a rowdy atmosphere. NIU has won 21 of their last 23 games dating back to the fall of 2011. Iowa was one of those losses in the 2012 season opener in Chicago.
ALL THE PRESSURE IS ON IOWA. Jordan Lynch accounted for almost 5,000 yards last year and the Huskie coaching staff thinks he'll be better this season. Lynch started his first game at quarterback against Iowa in last season's opener. A win for Lynch and his Huskies - a first for NIU over Iowa - would catapult his Heisman campaign and NIU's chances of repeat BCS Bowl appearances. Iowa is trying to right the ship off a 4-8 2012 season.
SO, THERE'S THIS COOL NEW THING CALLED WINSIPEDIA. You can see where Iowa ranks among the nation's college football teams for various things like total wins or NFL draft picks. You can also compare two teams and see how historically, Iowa ranks against Northern Illinois. Or, say, a team like Iowa State. Let's save that for a couple weeks from now.
THERE'S ALSO THIS NEW THING CALLED HUDDLEPASS. It's a former jNorthwestern QB C.J. Boucher creation. Here, you can read posts by former players of your favorite - and no-so-favorite - teams. Mitch King, Matt Melloy, Ed Hinkel and others have already posted.
HEY! WHAT'D YOU GUYS DO TO HUSKER MIKE? Something, something, something, BHGP. What? Here's an open letter to you.
STANZI TO THE JAGS.
#Jaguars claim QB Ricky Stanzi (KC) and LB Kyle Knox (Seattle) off waivers.— Ryan O'Halloran (@ryanohalloran) August 27, 2013
So Moeaki options are: Wait it out. IR. IR-designated to return. Injury settlement.— Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) August 27, 2013
IOWA WOMEN'S HOOPS SCHEDULE RELEASED. Seven of Iowa's first Big Ten games will be at Carver-Hawkeye this winter. Lisa Bluder said of the schedule, "the Big Ten is one of the toughest conferences in women's basketball. Every night we step on the court, we will face quality opponents." Iowa will open conference play at Indiana on January 2nd.
When will we see @TomBrandsHawk first tweet. Person closest to the date will win a complete set of highlight vids, 1990 to present.— Hawkeye Wrestling (@Hawks_Wrestling) August 27, 2013
LOT'S OF OTHER LINKS BECAUSE GAME WEEK:
- Podcast: ‘On Iowa' with Ferentz, players audio
- Meet Tyler Ulis, the nation's latest in-demand '14 point guard (VIDEO)
- Miami Dolphins' backup receiving race remains tight as Marvin McNutt, Brian Tyms make late surges
- Iowa ball-catchers lack scoring experience
- Journey challenges coaching survivor Ferentz
- 2013 Bowl Projections - Preseason
- Position Previews: Defensive Line
- A switch: Ferentz seems more confident than fans
- Senior linebackers expect more of themselves, Hawkeyes
- Podcast: ‘On Iowa' on QBs, opener
- FRY fest Week: Hayden Fry on "roughneck" Odessa
- Wall of Honor, Ferentz TV show
- New Herky On Parade program to be unveiled
- The Rosster: The contract
- Iowa women's golf team releases 2013-14 schedule
- Position Previews: Linebacker
- Hawkeyes react to Rudock being named starting QB
- Iowa secondary eager to step up
- Field Hockey 13th in NFHCA Preseason Poll
- Fans at Kinnick Stadium will get a second look at controversial calls
- The plan is to let Rudock be Rudock
- Rudock views starting debut as 'just the beginning'
- 8/27/2013: Iowa football notebook
- Iowa notes: Fiedorowicz wants to leave mark