THE HAWKEYES HAVE ARRIVED IN TAMPA.
Hawkeyes Arrive in Tampa for Outback Bowl (via Iowa Hawkeyes)
THE ADVOCATE'S LSU OUTBACK BOWL PREVIEW SHOW.
Happy Holidays From the Hawkeyes in Tampa (via Iowa Hawkeyes)
JAKE RUDOCK GETS TO SHOW EVERYONE AROUND. Florida, after all, is his home state. Ferentz says the team is happy to escape the cold Iowa weather and have been practicing well thus far. Jordan Canzeri said that in addition to enjoying Florida, the team is "going to be working hard and focusing on LSU."
CAN THE IOWA OFFENSE IMPROVE? The stats to start the season were significantly better than 2012. Over the course of the Big Ten schedule they slide backwards but still finished the season ranked 79th nationally, compared to 114th in 2012. Greg Davis told ESPN, "we have a good understanding of what the identity is." He added, "we're a zone, slant team with the tight ends that tries to use play-action. The players understand how we need to play, and that's how we try to go about game-planning." ESPN thinks Iowa could be even better next season and this game with LSU could serve as a springboard for 2014.
SO, MAYBE IOWA'S COORDINATORS AREN'T SO BAD? Like the offense, the defensive statistics improved from 2012 to 2013. The jump is much more significant. Following a (4-8) season, Hawkeye fans pointed a frustrated finger at both Greg Davis and Phil Parker. Davis moreso. Davis' offense is still, perhaps, a work in progress. But Parker's defense is outstanding.
LIKE IOWA, LSU TOO GOT FREE LUNCH AT OUTBACK STEAK HOUSE. If you recall, the Hawkeyes are #teamcoconutshrimp and LSU #teambloominonion. LSU players and coaches were served 70 bloomin onions at their lunch. Get fat Tigers. One blooming onion is supposed to serve six and has 1950 calories. One order of coconut shrimp is around 615 (serves two).
FRESHMEN GET WORK IN BOWL PREP. Greg Davis mentioned running back LeShun Daniels and wide receiver Derrick Willies as two true frosh that have stood out in bowl practice. Daniels saw action this season while Willies red-shirted. On the other side of the ball, Phil Parker mentioned that Jordan Lomax has been getting a few reps at safety. He also said Sean Draper and Maurice Fleming are improving corner backs.
- Vianney standout Smith goes down as one of the greats
- Texans' Tarpinian proves toughness after brain surgery
- Marcus Schnoor talks about the DJK thing at HuddlePass
- Heading to Clearwater? Here's some things to do
- Travin Dural is off to the races
- McCaffery won't settle when it comes to recruiting
- Delicious Irony: An Aussie punter in Outback Bowl
- If we could hit the reset button on LSU's season
- LSU QB Zach Mettenberger not ready to give up leadership role
- LSU's Johnson ready for physical contest
- A quick overview of Iowa
- Hawkeyes hammer opponents with run
- Holiday Tradition, Hawkeye Style
- Football practice photo galleries
- What we'll miss with Legends and Leaders
- Florida trip a homecoming for Jake Rudock
- Video interview with Phil Parker
- Bluder Signs Contract Extension
- Kirk Feretnz talks Anthony Jennings (video)
- Gruden: `How Do You Not Like Iowa Football?'