GARY BARTA IS JUST GIVING MONEY AWAY. Well, that's not true. It's well earned. Last week head men's basketball coach Fran McCaffery received a nice raise for his efforts turning around the program. Yesterday, Iowa announced they signed Tom Brands for five more years as head wrestling coach. Barta had this to say about Iowa wrestling's headman,
"Tom is a great ambassador for the program, for the university, and for the state. The future continues to look bright under his leadership."
Per Iowa Sports, the guaranteed money over the lifetime of the agreement is $225K. There's incentives there too, a lot of incentives.
NOW THAT BRANDS IS SIGNED.
Iowa now has Ferentz under contract until 2020, McCaffery 2019, Bluder 2018 and Brands 2017. Guess its Miller Time for Gary Barta. #hawkeyes— Ryan Suchomel (@RSuchomel) July 17, 2012
AIWBHG STRIKES AGAIN. Bethany Doolittle had so much to drink she forgot her name and her actual birth date. She received a citation for public intox after she was spotted by police "lying on a sidewalk" making out with some dude. AIWBHG not only attacks ACLs it shoots cupid arrows too.
HEY! MARCUS BINNS DOESN'T COUNT TOWARDS THE FULMER CUP! Head football coach Kirk Ferentz released a statement saying that Binns, the little brother of former Hawkeye defensive end Broderick Binns, is not part of the football team. Marcus was a walk-on running back who suffered an ACL injury last season.
SOMEONE AT IOWA SERIOUSLY WROTE "VANDY IS DANDY." I swear, it was on Twitter. Any-who, Iowa's senior is listed as second best at quarterbacking in the Big Ten by ESPN blogger Brian Bennett. ESPN also ranked units in addition to individuals and Iowa ranks fourth in the league.
KEENAN DAVIS JOINS WATCH LIST MANIA. Keenan is one of four Big Ten wide receivers on the Biletnikoff Award watch list. But wait, there's more. James Morris is on the Rotary Lombardi Award watch list for linebackers. The complete list of Hawkeyes on watch lists, for those scoring at home, is in that last Hawkeye Sports link.
ESPN IS PAYING BIG MONEY FOR THE ROSE BOWL. The stakes have increased. ESPN's original deal paid out $30 million for the rights to broadcast the Grand Daddy of Them All. Now, ESPN is shelling out $80 million. That's per year.
OH BABY YOUUU, YOU GOT WHAT I NEEEED. Randy Peterson, at Hawk Central, has a poll for Hawk fans. Because it's that time of year where polls are needed for page hits, but it's a good question. Who is Iowa football's most important player?
PAT HARTY PREDICTS IOWA WILL FINISH 7-5. Harty has all five of those losses coming in Big Ten play (3-5). His reasons are there if you want to read them.
- Latest On Iowa Podcast
- Looking At The Key Non-Conference Games, Week 1
- Greatest B1G Moments of 2011
- 1996 Purdue vs. 1999 Iowa: Hot, Fresh, Delany-Ordained HATE
- Morehouse's No. 9 - C James Ferentz
- Over half of you Iowa fans chose Nebraska as the football game you most anticipate
- PTL action from July 15 (with video highlights)
- Women's hoops: Iowa to Host Northern Illinois in Preseason WNIT
- Plenty of B1G, Pac-12 matchups still on tap
- Hawkeyes visit on Oct. 13 as buzz builds for clash with Wolverines
- Here's a terrible Iowa football preview
- Video: B1G stadium rankings, No. 5
- Bowl eligibility likely to remain at six wins
- Success for future Hawkeye wrasslers
- Morehouse's No. 8 - OLB Christian Kirksey
- Matt Gatens scores three points on 1-5 shooting
- Jonathan Babineaux Is Down With The Kings!
- Stampeder QB Drew Tate to have season ending surgery
- THE BEST OF: NORM SAYS THE TIME IS NOW