FIRST, A COMPLETELY RANDOM VIDEO FROM IOWA ATHLETES THAT ARE ALLOWED TO USE SOCIAL MEDIA.
Sports and Social Media (via Rachael Bedell)
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED'S STEWART MANDEL RETURNS HIS "PROGRAM PECKING ORDER." Using Kings, Barons, Knights and Peasants Stewart Mandel categorizes college football programs. Iowa is grouped with Boise State, Georgia Tech, Illinois and others. It's been five years since Mandel visited this pecking order idea. Iowa hasn't moved either up or down on his list.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: SBNATION HOF VOTING THROUGH THE WEEKEND. Many of you have already voted and thank you for that. If you haven't, here is reason enough to cast your votes. Hayden Fry is currently losing to Tom Osborne for SB Nation's Hall of Fame head coach. You can also vote for Tim Dwight as a special teams selection and Dallas Clark as a tight end.
IOWA IS GIVEN A 62% CHANCE OF VICTORY AGAINST NORTHERN ILLINOIS. According to ESPN's Big Ten blog. Brian Bennett tells us not to be surprised if the game is close throughout. Bennett cites Iowa's young defense and an explosive NIU offense as the biggest reason for the Hawks.
KIRK FERENTZ SPENT HIS THURSDAY FOLLOWING ZACH JOHNSON AROUND. Johnson is playing in this weekend's John Deere Classic in Silvis, Illinois. Johnson shot an opening round 68, 3-under-par. Mike Hlas has video of both Johnson and Ferentz.
BIG TEN NETWORK'S TOM DIENHART SAYS GREG GARMON IS A FRESHMAN TO WATCH. Dienhart includes Garmon and Barkley Hill in his "Newcomers to Watch" in 2012. Garmon is now reportedly on campus and along with Hill will compete for Iowa's starting running back position.
WEDNESDAY I MENTIONED THAT BASKETBALL SEASON TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE. We don't know the full home schedule but there are some pieces of the 19 game puzzle in place. Hawkeye Drive did the legwork and has found some of November's games.
MORE WATCH LIST MANIA. When you think Bronko Nagurski you automatically think Micah Hyde. Well maybe not, but Hyde is on the watch list for the award given to the nation's top defensive player. Also, James Ferentz showed up on the watch list for the Rimington Award early this week. He's also listed as an Outland Trophy candidate, given to the nation's top lineman. Finally, Mike Meyer is listed on the Lou Groza Award watch list.
THE BIG TEN FOOTBALL MEDIA DAYS ARE JUST UNDER TWO WEEKS AWAY. Iowa will send Micah Hyde, James Vandenberg and James Ferentz along with Kirk Ferentz to represent Iowa. Michigan's Denard Robinson will speak at the luncheon on behalf of all the players. (side note: Iowa moved their on campus media day to August 6th this year. It was previously planned for August 3rd.)
- Did Iowa's Fran McCaffery deserve a raise and extension?
- Morehouse's No. 12 - OT Brett Van Sloten
- Women's hoops: A healthy Taylor vital to Hawkeye success
- BTN to hold another Iowa Day on July 19th
- Women's Hoops: Iowa's Johnson getting healthy, ready for big test
- Men's Hoops: No. 4: Iowa 67, Wisconsin 66
- Basketball commitment helps Iowa try to reform its ‘football school' image
- B1G position rankings: RB (units)
- IOWA EVAL - Delano Hill
- IOWA EVAL - Colin Goebel
- IOWA EVAL - Nathan Bazata
- Single-Game Football Tickets to be Available
- Big Ten no longer league of longevity
- 34 Hawkeyes Earn Big Ten Distinguished Scholar Award
- NFC South's next defensive superstar?
- Morehouse's No. 11 - WR Kevonte Martin-Manley
- Pat Harty: Landing in-state recruits not as easy as it used to be
- Former Iowa SID Wine's funeral to be held Saturday
- College Football Countdown: No. 32 Iowa
- Tyler Sash on the red carpet at the ESPY's