WEST LAFAYETTE IN - JANUARY 09: Matt Gatens #5 of the Iowa Hawkeyes drives for a shot attempt during the Big Ten Conference game against the Purdue Boilermakers at Mackey Arena on January 9 2011 in West Lafayette Indiana. Purdue won 75-52. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
MATT GATENS VISITED WITH EIGHT NBA TEAMS. He was relaxed prior to the NBA draft writes Rick Brown. Gatens didn't hear his name called in the NBA's two round draft but will get a chance to make a team. Gatens worked out for the Suns and will join their summer league team. The summer league begins play on July 15th. A strong performance could earn Gatens a spot on the Suns' official roster.
IOWA'S NEW FOOTBALL PRACTICE FACILITY IS COMING ALONG SWIMMINGLY. Multiple websites have photos, including a 360 degree virtual tour. The 102,000 square foot practice facility that is replacing Iowa's bubble should be ready by August. The 55 million dollar upgrade, according to Hawkeye Sports, will be "a practice venue to compete with any program in the Big Ten Conference."
THE MEDIA TOURED THE FACILITY AND LISTENED TO FERENTZ SPEAK. Kirk Ferentz talked briefly about Iowa's new building as well as the newly announced college football playoff. Ferentz also mentioned Greg Garmon but didn't add much more than what was released earlier in the week.
THERE WERE PLAYERS AVAILABLE FOR INTERVIEW TOO. Marc Morehouse has several videos on his On Iowa blog. The interviewees were Brett Van Sloten, Brandon Scherff, Tanner Miller, Dominic Alvis and Keenan Davis. Dominic Alvis, who was sidelined this spring still recovering from an ACL tear last fall, says he's ready to go once fall camp begins.
NOT THE NBA DRAFT BUT ATHLON SPORTS DRAFTED COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS. They held a conference realignment draft and the Hawkeyes were the 28th team selected. Not sure if this means anything or even makes sense but hey! It's the off season.
THERE'S BEEN SOME CHANGES IN THE HAWKEYE WRESTLING COACHING STAFF. The addition of Ryan Morningstar caught Mike Zadick off-guard. Zadick said,
"I don't know how to say it. It's kind of like I was walking around the backside of a horse and he kicked me. ... I've been kicked by a horse before, (and) that's kind of the way I feel."
The rumor mill has Zadick making the move to strength and conditioning coach. About his future, he said,
"I know I'll be all right no matter what I decide (to do next season). I liked how important wrestling was in the Iowa family, the Hawkeye family and to the people in the state. I have been and will forever be honored to be a Hawkeye."
THERE WAS TALK THAT THE NEW PAC-12/BIG 10 RELATIONSHIP MAY BE BREAKING DOWN. Not according to Gary Barta. He told Scott Dochterman that it's a "strong possibility" everything is still on track between the two conferences.
THIS MAY BE A REPEAT BUT IT'S FROM A NATIONAL BLOG. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg writes about Kirk Ferentz and Iowa's early recruiting successes. With Iowa planning on a class size of 20 there's only five spots left. If you missed it earlier this week, RossWB broke down Iowa's needs.
- Morehouse's No. 22 - G Matt Tobin
- Gatens could be the first Iowa City native to play in the NBA
- Gatens joins Kendall Marshall in the summer league
- Another practice facility slide show
- Ironside may become regular driver at Hawkeye Downs
- The Importance Of Tony Moeaki For The KC Chiefs
- Historical breakdown of 4-team playoff since 1936
- Tony Moeaki will give Chiefs a new dimension
- Rose Bowl time slot preserved in ESPN pact
- From the Uh-Okay file, Iowa Officials Comment on Football Playoff
- Big Ten will be big supporter of playoff
- Iowa officials split on football selection committee service
- Hawkeyes, Cyclones talk about new playoff system
- Iowa AD's position on football playoff system adapts to acceptance
- Brett Greenwood update
- Morehouse's No. 21 - LB Anthony Hitchens
- Rose Bowl's role in hosting semis TBD
- Harty: Scherff ready for his next challenge
- How about the Anheuser-Busch Iowa Football Performance Center?
- Tate, Holloway forever bonded by ‘The Catch'