The football team heads to Evanston and the Big Ten basketball media day is in Chicago.
BEFORE WE BEGIN THE FOOTBALL TALK. Fran McCaffery, along with Eric May and Devyn Marble, took to Chicago for the Big Ten basketball media day. McCaffery took his turn speaking to the media. Here is the transcript, some video, and here's some highlights:
- Fran is excited but cautiously optimistic because of the team's youth
- Fran says Iowa can score and can go big, small, and pressure due to depth
- Woodbury's best attribute is his passing
- Fran mentioned tough road games in the Big Ten and mentioned putting Marble at point if needed
FANS ARE FRUSTRATED WITH HAWKEYE FOOTBALL. And they lit up the phone board on this week's Hawk Talk with Kirk Ferentz. The questions were brutal as Ferentz was grilled over Iowa's loss to Penn State. One caller even suggested he take the Cleveland Browns coaching job. The head man took one for his team.
JAMES FERENTZ IS A BIT OF A TRASH TALKER. Turns out, it didn't work (this time). Ferentz had some things to say to Penn State's Jordan Hill prior to last week's game. Hill says he served as motivation for his excellent game against Iowa.
FOR IOWA TO BEAT jNORTHWESTERN, THEY'RE GOING TO NEED A HEALTHY WEISMAN. If there was any doubt who Iowa's offense is it was proven last Saturday night. Kirk Ferentz is hopeful that his running back will be "stronger" this week after suffering an ankle sprain in the late minutes against Michigan State. He's playing near his hometown and will have plenty of support in the stands. He was still wearing a brace on the ankle as late as Tuesday when the media conducted interviews.
HERE WE GO WITH PREDICTIONS. We'll start local with Marc Morehouse's 2-minute drill. Morehouse picks Northwestern over Iowa 31-20. Four Athlon Sports writers are taking Northwestern. Both ESPN Big Ten bloggers are taking Northwestern. Finally, both Big Ten Network bloggers...wait! Tom Dienhart is taking Iowa! We found one! Dienhart says Iowa 21, NW 19.
HEY, HEY! I SCREWED UP AND HIT PUBLISH TOO SOON. (sorry) So, I'm just going to include the rest of the stuff in the "Other links" instead of writing short snippets about them. Here's an extra long...
- 10/25/2012: Talkin' Hawks podcast (Iowa at Northwestern)
- Creston-OM champion Marlin commits to Hawkeyes
- Iowa's Ferentz vouches for Vandenberg
- Hawkeyes Prepare for Second Trip to Chicago Area
- Hawkeyes ready for track meet with Wildcats
- Nittany Lion volleyball sweeps Hawkeyes
- Three and Out
- The Big Ten Cross Country Championships is set to begin Sunday at 10:45 a.m.ET
- West Des Moines Girl, 9, is Kid Captain for Iowa-Northwestern Game Saturday
- CBSSports.com Top 30 freshmen (hoops)
- Izzo jokes Iowa coach 'can't throw anymore chairs'
- Healthy again, MacMillan slides back into lineup
- Hoops: Big Ten Preview: Wisconsin and Iowa are better than you think
- Tickets go on sale for the Big Four Classic (Iowa vs UNI) at 10am this morning
- Hawkeye Sports photo gallery from hoops media day
- Name of the Week: Iowa
- Wrestling: Brandon Sorensen stays in state, will be a Hawkeye
- Another On Iowa Podcast
- An oral history of Ferentz-era quarterbacks
- Break it Down: Iowa at Northwestern
- Printy returning to form for Hawkeyes
- B1G media day: Big hopes for Big Ten hoops
- 5-foot-8 RB leaving a Mark on Northwestern football
- 10/25/2012: Big Ten Media Day notebook
- Wildcats, PSU leaders in graduation rate
- Hoops: Like Iowa, Big Ten is Improved
- B1G Commissioner on playoffs, bowls, night games
- Notes from HawkeyeReport.com
- Iowa-Northwestern: Two unstable offenses, two quests for relevance