Iowa Postgame Reaction Following Win at Michigan State (via hawkeyesportstv)
HOW ABOUT THAT? What looked like a miserable Saturday morning quickly became jubilation across the Hawkeye State as Iowa finds a way to win. Iowa overcame terrible weather, horrible field conditions and abysmal quarterback play. Mark Weisman still rushed for over 100 yards and found the endzone with less than a minute left in regulation to score the Hawkeyes' lone touchdown. Mike Meyer forced overtime with the extra point and was money in overtime hitting 2/2 field goals including a 42 yarder in the previously stated bad conditions. Greg Castillo came up with an interception of an Andrew Maxwell tipped ball to seal the victory on Spartan turf. It is win number two for Iowa in Big Ten play and win number 100 for Coach Kirk Ferentz as head coach of the Hawkeyes.
ABOUT THAT DEFENSE. Sure, Michigan State was a one dimensional offense. Le'Veon Bell got his but Iowa held strong and allowed MSU inside their 30 yard line only three times in regulation. One of those possessions was early in the first quarter following an interception of a James Vandenberg screen pass. The Hawkeye defense now ranks 9th nationally in scoring defense. They earned a helmet sticker this week from ESPN. They don't call it "swagger" at Iowa, it's more like "mentally tough."
KIRK FERENTZ SPOKE AFTER THE WIN. You can see what he had to say in the video here. The players spoke to the media too. The Cedar Rapids Gazette crew grabbed video of Micah Hyde, Greg Castillo, James Vandenberg, Mark Weisman and James Morris.
SO YEAH, IOWA IS LIKE, IN FIRST. Michigan took care of business versus Illinois, as expected. That means both Iowa and Michigan remain as the two undefeated teams in the Legends Division. Michigan State will face Michigan at Ann Arbor next week in the in-state, divisional rivalry game. Iowa will face a red hot and undefeated in Big Ten play Penn State team.
#qctimes Mark Weisman's availability for Penn State will be determined as the week progresses, per Kirk Ferentz in weekly UI video interview— Steve Batterson (@sbatt79) October 15, 2012
- 10/13/2012: Iowa 19, Michigan State 16 (Links)
- Game Report: Iowa 19, Michigan State 16, 2-OT
- Hawkeyes played through dark clouds and flew home on a silver lining
- From 2nd-and-26 to B1G Victory
- Stat Pak: The power of the clutch play
- Full Big Ten TV schedule for Oct. 20
- Michigan State to re-evaluate its goals after loss
- Michigan State misses Dion Sims in loss to Iowa; Jairus Jones, Tyler Hoover also don't play
- Michigan State defense 'didn't get it done' on Iowa TD drive
- Michigan State an afterthought in Big Ten race after double-overtime loss to Iowa
- Field Hockey: No. 7 Penn State Tops No. 11 Iowa
- Iowa 19, Michigan State 16 (2OT): Kneejerk Reactions
- Basabe seeks return to form ... and then some
- Hey Joe: 10 thoughts on Michigan State's loss to Iowa
- Mark Weisman's Journey to Iowa Hawkeyes Football Featured on BTN
- Volleyball: Masterful fifth set propels Badgers to 3-2 win over Hawkeyes
- Week 8 Power Rankings
- Four-star defensive end verbal commit David Kenney decommits from Iowa
- Big Ten bowl projections: Week 8
- FB: Ferentz Sunday Night Conversation