Insight Enterprises Rings the NASDAQ Opening Bell in Celebration of the 2011 Insight Bowl (via InsightUSA)
If you have some free time today head to Hawkeyesports.com around 2:00 PM (CT). Norm Parker, along with Kirk Ferentz, will hold a press conference to discuss Norm's retirement and the upcoming Insight.com Bowl. I imagine Ferentz will be asked about the coaching vacancy and other team issues like the status of Mika'il McCall. If you don't have an all-access account (monthly $$) at Hawkeyesports you can always follow this Hawkeye media list on Twitter for live updates.
I don't expect to get a lot of answers, at least on the coaching vacancy. If there are any academic casualties they still won't be known for another week or so (finals ended today). Ferentz will get questions but we'll see if he gives direct answers. And besides, it's Norm's day to be Norm.
Iowa will host a number of football recruits this weekend, here are some of the players that will be on campus:
- Nathan Sudfeld - QB - Rivals 3 Stars
- Patton Robinette - QB - Rivals 3 Stars
- Albert Reid - Athlete - Rivals 3 Stars
- Akeel Lynch - RB - Rivals 3 Stars
- Cody Sokol - QB - (JUCO) Rivals 3 Stars
- Alex Pace - DE - Rivals Not Rated
- Jehu Chesson - WR - Rivals 3 Stars
Hoops. The Hawkeyes conclude their match-up against instate rivals Saturday night when Drake comes to Carver. The latest news release from Iowa includes stats from Drake's Ben Simons and Rayvonte Rice. It also includes some quotes from coach about playing better defense and getting the win. Probably the most interesting thing, at least to me, is the final paragraphs that discuss McCaffery out watching Gesell and Woodbury this week. That's were we are at right now folks.
To be fair, that wasn't the only Iowa men's basketball story that Iowa published this week. The official game release is, as always, full of interesting facts. For example, did you know that Iowa ranked second in the Big Ten in steals (9.1 per game)? Or that Matt Gatens is 34/37 on the season from the free throw line?
McCaffery met with the media yesterday and with that came some interesting information. Here are some tweets that sum up the latest from Iowa's head basketball coach.
- McCaffery may bank the remaining scholarship for 2013
- Cartwright should be good to go for Drake
- Marble and Cartwright may both start, May could come off the bench
- Keno Davis will call the game Saturday
The Bulldogs haven't played since December 8th when they beat Eastern Michigan 66-53. Drake is 6-3 on the season and has lost to Boise State, Virginia and Mississippi. Drake comes to Iowa with a kenpom.com ranking of 159. Iowa, by the way, is 143 according to Ken Pomeroy.
Other links of interest:
- McCaffery offers five star center Jahlil Okafor
- Should Ferentz take the Chiefs job?
- John Bohnenkamp breaks down the Hawkeye basketball team before the break
- Insight.com Bowl preview with Kolby and Clayton
- Ferentz bans Twitter, should Stoops?
- Recruit picks Gophers because Baylor wouldn't accept his "D's"
- Yanda has been doing some of his best work of late
- Yanda has established himself as one of the top offensive guards
- Keppy is not totally focused on playing football at the next level
- Ohio State and this coaching waiver thing
- Five Sooners to watch in the Insight.com Bowl
- Craig James takes a leave from ESPN YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS
- From ESPN, season report card: Iowa
- Iowa #42 in 100 year rankings
- Mike McQueary testified this morning and USA Today has a live blog