The Iowa Hawkeyes had a terrible end of November and arguably an even worse December. But looking at the state of Iowa as a whole, November sucked. It sucked ass. All three of the big state universities went to shit and here are some statistics to prove it:
- In the final 3 regular season games, Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI went a combined 1-8 with the one win over Missouri State.
- Lost to teams with a combined 65-38 record (averages an 8-5 record) and three top-15 teams (#7 Nebraska, #9 Ohio State, #15 Missouri). On other hand, lost to two teams with losing record (Minnesota, Colorado).
- In the three losses to ranked opponents, the teams averaged losing by just 6 points.
- All losses were heart-breakers. They include Iowa State holding Missouri to 14 points and losing to fail to become bowl eligible, Iowa losing to Ohio State by 3 on a Terrelle Pryor 4th down conversion, and Iowa State losing by 1 to a top-10 Nebraska in overtime on a failed 2-point conversion.
- Each team had a promising record going into the end-of-season slide.
Northern Iowa: 6-3 (5-1 conference) ---> 7-5 (6-2)
Iowa: 7-2 (4-1 conference) ---> 7-5 (4-4)
Iowa State: 5-4 (3-2 conference) ---> 5-7 (3-5)
- Last loss of season detrimental to post-season.
Northern Iowa: Loss kicked them out of playoffs
Iowa: Kicked them out of top-25; knocked them to lower bowl
Iowa State: Loss caused bowl ineligibility
I would go more in depth but I am starting to get depressed, so I might later.
Who had the worst end of season?
UNI: (1-2 last three games; knocked out of FCS playoffs first round) (2 votes)
Iowa: (0-3 last three games; No ranking final poll; slid down to Insight Bowl) (56 votes)
Iowa State: (0-3 last three games; 1 win would have made them bowl eligible; 2 heartbreaking losses to top 15 teams) (24 votes)
82 total votes