I keep seeing the name Bruce Pearl brought up as "the guy we have to get". This is my effort to keep this from being a situation like we had when Ferentz was hired. Instead of looking for reasons to like the guy, all anybody could do is bitch that he wasn't Bob Stoops.
So this is it. After today I'm not going to say Bruce Pearl's name in connection with the Iowa job, I'm not even going to state the obvious... IT ISN'T GOfING TO HAPPEN. And neither should you.
* Spent 6 years as an assistant at Iowa under Tom Davis. A period of time he no doubt considers invaluable in his professional development and a special time in his personal life. Surely came to love Iowa City as the utterly kick ass city that it is.
* He grew up in Boston, Iowa ties don't run that deep.
* Makes $2.3 Million a year. The guy is dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking rich.
* Iowa would not increase his pay significantly. Taxes would take about 40% of it, child support would take more
* Has spent 5 years building Tennessee into HIS program. His staff, his players. Has his team in the NCAA as a 6 seed. A fucking 6 seed!
* Would be rebuilding Iowa from the ground up. The only 6 seed he will be seeing anytime soon will say "Monsanto" on the bag.
* Is the basketball coach at a football school.
* Would be the basketball coach at a football school.
* Tennessee is in the top 5 nationally for attendance.
* If CHA is sold out for every game it will not be top 5 in attendance.
* He already said no once.
* Is divorced with children aged 14 and 10. They probably live in Knoxville and a move to Iowa City would make it very difficult for him to spend time with them.
* Has been kicking all kinds of SEC ass, including in his division. There has been concerns expressed that other schools in his division are getting better.
* The Big 10 is no easier than the SEC and without divisions he will be facing the top teams every year.
* Has already said no once.