After a hyper cursory analysis of Missouri football, there are a few things I noticed. So, in an effort to redirect the football conversation, here is my random, cherry picked list of 10 things worth noting about the Missouri Tigers.
10. They have been in dire straits this year. Against San Diego State they needed a desperation, last second 68-yard touchdown pass to beat the Aztecs at home. The prayer was answered with 51 seconds left in the game.
9. They sound familiar (Part I). With Missouri leading by only seven points late in the 3rd quarter, punter Matt Grabner ran 15-yards on a fake on fourth-and-2 at his own 28, and that play was all the momentum needed to score a second touchdown and finish off a 14-0 victory over Iowa State in Ames.
8. They play okay on the road; that is when they were really a road team. Missouri played a grand total of four true road games (they played Illinois in St. Louis). They were 2-2 in those road games. They lost to a bad Texas Tech team (Tech lost to Texas and Iowa State decisively) and Big Ten stalwart Nebraska of course, they beat Iowa State (see above) and had an impressive win in College Station against Texas A&M, although it's important to point out the Aggies were coming off a murder's row of games that concluded with Mizzou.
7. They sound familiar (Part II). They run a no-huddle spread offense.
6. They gave up 307 yards rushing in a single game. In Lincoln, Nebraska against their hated wannabe rival, their defense surrendered all that yardage...to one single player, Roy Helu. Helu's biggest day other than Missouri? 110 yard against Kansas State.
5. Their passing game can be shut down. Texas Tech held them to less than 100 yards passing. Yep, Texas Tech. Nebraska recorded 6 sacks.
4. Their bowl record under Pinkel is 3-3. Which includes an overtime win as a heavy favorite over Northwestern in the Alamo Bowl in 2008 and not a single BCS game.
3. They think they're a tight end factory. Michael Egnew was named to numerous All-America teams from this year's team and is the third Missouri tight end in the last four years to earn first team all-America status joining Martin Rucker (2007) and Chase Coffman (2008). Of course Kellen Winslow played for the Tigers and I am sure there are some others they would love to regale. Although, Iowa has as many John Mackey Award winners as does Mizzou and currently has more TEs in the NFL.
2. Their mascot has won several mascot competitions. Yawn.
1. They describe their team colors as black and gold. Iowa describes their team colors as black and old gold. So, thankfully, these fanbases will look nothing alike on TV.
How important is the Insight Bowl game to you?
Life and death. (74 votes)
As important as having a job and good friends. (147 votes)
Uh, you tell me. I got tickets, hotel reservations and my lucky flask is already brimming with (fill-in-blank). (74 votes)
I just bought a new flat screen, and it's not to watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (although, I will watch that). (230 votes)
If I am in the vicinity of a sports bar that serves killer wings and is running a twofer, then I might check the game out. (210 votes)
What day is the game? (141 votes)
It would take a small miracle (along the lines of Tate to Holloway) for me to see or even care about this game. (50 votes)
Allow me to say good bye to everyone as this will be the last thing I ever read about Iowa football. Adios suckers. (47 votes)
973 total votes