ISU deserved it.
ISU deserved it.
- They didn't drop four passes, killing at least two drives, including the potential game-locker with three minutes left.
- For some reason, they didn't start the game with the same play they've started the last 30 or 40: RB off tackle, right side.
- For some reason, they didn't run the same four plays that they've run for the past 100 games.
- For some reason, with 2 minutes left and leading, they did not match up a 240 lb. middle linebacker with a wide receiver, man-on-man, on the deep outside.
- For some reason, they can kick off deeper than the 15 or 20.
- For some reason, they didn't wait until half-time to adjust to the most successful pass route we were running -- which is the same slot-drag that everyone killed us with last year.
- For some reason, their quarterback isn't already borderline psychotic, now lobbing balls that he was gunning three weeks ago, to receivers who are so terrified of dropping them that they don't even try to run after the catch. If we do catch the ball we're just hugging it and falling to the turf. This, truly, is Pee-Wee football shit, catching and falling to the ground and hugging it like it's Muffy the Stuffed Barnyard Animal. Like Jake deserves this shit. Get some guys off the intramural teams, raid Grinnell, just put some guys on the field who can catch the ball and even take a step afterward. This has been going on now since 2005.
- For some reason, we are the only team in America to shrink the field (well, leaving aside Notre Dame), disdaining the perimeter, disdaining the vertical. We call plays that shrink the field. And the most innovative and effective new offense of the past 5 years is the ... shrink?
- For some reason, they take their playmakers and try to isolate them in space, instead of parking their butts in traffic and seeing how many people can hit them in concentrated fury.
Well, I realize now I was projecting more than was healthy prior to this sorry-ass spectacle of being out-played and out-coached. Shame on me for my vicarious wanna-be vision thing. We just lost to a team KSU and UNI beat. Indiana would have put up 40, easy, yesterday.
- be churlish with wife, kick dog, wreck the Guzzi, and get a DWI.
- dispense with the romantic fascination I have with The Town of Iowa, a $3mm coach, the four-page playbook, and graduation rates. Lots of guys graduate, but not many $3mm coaches lose to rookies who lost to UNI, KSU, and start JUCOs at half the positions.
- spend more time on poetry and motorcycles, and leave the deep football analysis to the faithful. I watched a lot of my faith go drip-drip-drip until now ... now, I am just another loser who will watch but not cheer the next game, if only to see Bielema's face on our first play from scrimmage:
"Fuck. They actually ran Young off right tackle to start a game ... AGAIN."
ISU deserved this game. I'm glad we were able to provide a season highlight for them. Has Ferentz just stuck around for the money?